Don't sweat the small stuff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
Sadly, things happen to remind myself sometimes to not "sweat the small stuff". An old friend from over 50 years ago, who I had reconnected with a few years back, died yesterday. When we reconnected again it was if we had talked a day ago, not over 50 years ago. I had actually dated his wife before he met her, and had remained friends with her as well. Mark had a heart transplant over 10 years ago, and was super careful as he was more vulnerable to everything due to the immunosuppressant drugs he had to take. But a minor seeming fall led to a wound that would not heal on his leg and things went downhill from there. It seemed he might lose the leg, which seemed bad enough, but I was unprepared for the news from his wife that he had died. He's not the first of my old crowd to pass on, and of course will not be the last. So here I am feeling crappy while I struggle with a toothache, and my torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders, lamenting that the shoulder problems in part led me to have to give up my Honda Goldwing. I found I lost sleep last night over worries about my youngest son and his two little boys. I was a bit down in the dumps over watching my modest investments dip yet again as the market had a bad day. And then I found out about my friend dying and it reminded me that all the other stuff is pretty meaningless in comparison.

I recall a resident in one of the nursing homes that I managed during my second career as a nursing home administrator and VP of operations for a large non profit healthcare corporations. I would always try to spend a few minutes visiting her when I went to the facility where she lived, which I did about once or twice a month. She was 106 at my last visit there, and totally unimpaired mentally. Although physically pretty limited due to severe and crippling arthritis and some other ailments, she had a positive attitude and loved life. She had outlived two husbands, both of her children, all 8 of her siblings and every one of her friends from before her admission to the nursing home. Yet she stayed positive and forward looking, interested in local politics and in what was happening in public education since she had been a school teacher for decades until she retired. I always admired her ability to stay positive, despite what she had been through, the losses she had suffered, and her present plight of living in a skilled nursing home. She truly did not sweat the small stuff, and I am trying to do the same but not always with great success.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I know what you mean about not letting small things bother you. Like a dip in the stock market compared to a person's health. Still, it bothers me too a little. I help my parents out with advice on the stock market, and when their stock drops, I feel bad about it. BUT! Today is looking pretty good. And when viewed from month to month or year to year, it's all good. Still not the same as a person's health though. So yeah you're right, keeping everything in perspective is important.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As for me, Whenever I start to get into the mulleygrubs I look back on my life and see how God has directed my life and guided me through the not so pleasant times. I've been pretty low, yet everything that happened to me was to make me a better man. The old example of heating iron to red hot heat and hammering it to forge it into quality steel always comes to my mind. That, plus the knowledge that when my eyes close in death they immediately awaken to the face of God and I will spend eternity with God. I have God's very word on this in the form of the Bible.

These thoughts has kept me going for many, many years.

Bob Wright

vito

Hunter
Bob, I sure hope you are right. I've never been religious, and have always found it hard to believe that when dead we are not just like the animals we kill and eat, just gone, lights out, elevator to the bottom floor, etc. But I had a friend years ago, a Catholic priest, who told me that he had his doubts, as any thinking person does, but he decided that if he believed and was wrong he lost nothing. But if he didn't believe, and was wrong, he lost everything. I have tried to look at the complexity of life and to believe that it is the result of some intelligent, and hopefully benign intelligence, and that maybe, just maybe, that complexity includes some type of conscious existence after our physical death. Of course when I try to imagine what that consciousness would be like, mixed in with the tens of billions of other entities in that "heaven", logic tells me to chuck it all out. But deep down I still want to believe and will try my best to keep that spark of hope alive.

kramden

Blackhawk
I have no doubt of eternity. I believe I'll be in Gods heaven forever. It's a gift for my acceptance of Jesus Christ as my saviour. I look around as many have and I know this earth , me and everything in and on it had a creator. But you do need to seek Him to find the answers.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
It seems that my entire life has been spent doing things that require attention to details. "Sweating the small stuff" is what got me through.
I understand what the OP meant-that there are things more important than what I consider important.