Decent inexpensive IWB holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
I don't carry all the time or all day and have been looking for a comfortable and inexpensive IWB holster. I've read the claims and rave reviews or the Versacarry and Remora holsters so I bought both. Although they both hold the gun secure as advertised I found the claims of comfort "you'll forget it's there, most comfortable holster you can buy" quite an exaggeration. I found I prefer my $12 Uncle Mikes to either. I'm sure some will tell me to spend more money on a cross breed or some other much more expensive holster but from the pictures I see posted they look just as if not more bulky than what I've bought. I will from time to time use the holsters I bought but I found they're not all they claim to be, at least for me.

Gage18

Bearcat
Personally I use the cheap uncle mike's IWB size 5 for my SR9c. It's comfortable, but I often find myself walking almost too upright to make sure no indentions are seen. I myself just starting carrying recently so I guess I just have to get used to it. I also have a Tagua leather hip holster that I really like. Very nice fit! 8)

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Galco Sto N Go is a good one.
Desantis Holster #106NA14Z0 is another.

Try not to skimp too much on a holster.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I have been very happy happy with my Tagua IWB. It is a smallish molded leather holster with a single clip. I doubt it is quite as comfortable as the hybrids, but I like the fact that it is compact, and easy to pull the entire holster/weapon to stash in the vehicle, when I can't carry into a restaurant, or other establishment. I also like the molded aspect, so it keeps it's shape when the weapon is pulled.

http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/inside-the-pants-holster-p32

recumbent

Buckeye
My favorite for comfort and concealability is the Crossbreed super tuck but they are not cheap.

Another one that is just about the same as the crossbreed is the White Hat holster.
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Fobus makes a kydex one, and Blackhawk makes a nylon- both will do the job, not expensive at all. I also have a $25 Tagua leather one, but it's owb, for the money they really are good holsters.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Old faithful has several degrees of a holster you can put together if you're just a little handy. When it's done, it's an excellent holster.

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/

Jbandy78

Bearcat
I'll second the sto n go. Give it some time to form to the gun and try several positions before you give up on it. I like mine just to the right of my belt buckle. Make sure to follow the break In instructions on this holster. I own one for the lcp and one for my 2 lcr's and couldn't be happier!

Colt Hammerless

Bearcat
Carbonyl,

Do you have a good gun belt? If not, I'd get a belt first. A mediocre holster on a good belt is better than a great holster on a thin, flimsy belt.

Paul

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
Colt Hammerless said:
Carbonyl,

Do you have a good gun belt? If not, I'd get a belt first. A mediocre holster on a good belt is better than a great holster on a thin, flimsy belt.

Paul
No I don't have a good gun belt and I will take your advice. That will be my next purchase, thanks.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have several competition holsters and a couple of others.

The one point I would like to make is no matter how much you spend on one, get one that holds together and if it does get floppy, throw it away. Don't sell it, don't keep it for sentimental reasons, pitch it.

Many holsters when new, hold their shape but over time, flaps start bending, bodies start to collapse in and reholstering becomes a danger. Anything flopping around that can contact the trigger is real bad, be smart, be careful

cluznar

Bearcat
Old Faithful holsters has a holster kit you put together yourself for $39 it is easy to put together, just insert screws.

I have one, took 20 minutes to put together and it is a great holster.

cluznar

Bearcat
Don't know if there is a quality "cheap" gunbelt. If buying a gunbelt save up and buy a good one. A good gunbelt is very valuable to CCW.

I have a Latigo Canyon gunbelt from TuckerGunLeather.com and it is excellent, very glad I bought it.

Nevada

Single-Sixer
I have two Remora holsters: one for an FEG PA63 and one for a Para-ordnance Tac-Four 12 round 45.
Both are comfortable when situated properly IWB. It might take a couple of tries to get it right, but I like them, until I have use the john. With the pants undone there isn't any pressure to secure the holster in place. I won't use Fobus since the one for my CZ75 ruined the finish, and the one for the P345 took two men to get the pistol out of the holster. Getting it in wasn't easy either. I do like the Fobus mag holders as well as the Blackhawk! ones.

jrod

Bearcat
DeSantis Insider!!! It's a great inexpensive Holster. Sits the Butt low on the beltline and conceals the gun really well. I feel it beats all the other low priced holsters hands down. Very comfortable. The only IWB I can wear all day.

Aberdrew13

Bearcat
The gun belts I use and wear on a daily basis (even when not carrying) are the Wilderness Tactical Instructor belts.

As far as the Crossbreed and similar holsters being bulky, they are a bigger footprint, but the large leather pad really distributes everything. I have no problem carrying a 1911 in one. The two clips help keep the holster where you want it instead of it rotating. The kydex outer shell is great for reholstering too. You don't have to fight the mouth of the holster to get your gun in because it collapsed on you. I highly recommend that style of holster.