DA Only GP-100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Florida-boy

Bearcat
A friend of mine just bought a GP-100 that he says is DA only. I'm wondering if Ruger made them that way or is it the result of a trigger job gone wrong?

Tweek

Bearcat
They made lots of them.

Our Gander Mountain had probably a dozen of them (used - former police revolvers) a couple years ago.

Great guns that can clean up nice (especially stainless ones), and can be converted to SA/DA with a standard hammer.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Yep, like Tweek says. I bought mine used but it came with the case labeled "CATALOG KGPF-330DAO". It is indeed truly DAO in that the hammer is not only spurless but also does not have the SA notch that would allow cocking for SA fire.

I carry a 5-shot DAO SP101, and I bought the GP so I could play in IDPA (where you need a 6-shooter) with the nearest thing to my carry gun.

By the way, in my humble opinion, DAO is the way a defensive revolver should be, and you don't want to give yourself the option of single action fire. Why? Because your DAO gun makes you practice DA shooting. And defensive shooting is DA shooting. Hammer spurs are for cowboy guns and bullseye guns, which are both very cool but they're not what I bought my gun for.

Florida-boy

Bearcat
Thanks, I knew that years ago S&W built revolvers like that when revolvers were standard issue for LEOs but since the major switch to wondernines I didn't know if it was still an option.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Florida-boy":vwzsd3w6 said:
Thanks, I knew that years ago S&W built revolvers like that when revolvers were standard issue for LEOs but since the major switch to wondernines I didn't know if it was still an option.
AFAIK Ruger's not currently making any more DAO GPs, at least I don't see any sign of it on their web site, so if you find one nowadays, it too will probably be a retired police gun.

Wilddog

Bearcat
ruger1.jpg

Yes - Here is my DAO GP100 I purchased last year new.

Model KGP-141RLS

Wayne