Custom Ruger #1 Mannlicher Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wunbe

Buckeye
i am mulling over a custom Ruger #1 project that would end in a nicely balanced, handsomely stocked, ltwt, all day carry rifle in a light recoiling but adequately deer lethal caliber.

I have never liked #1 RSI wood as i was spoiled early on by Steyr Mannlicher Schoenauers with their delicately tapered and exquisitely balanced stocks. I find the Ruger RSIs to be club-like by comparison -- needlessly butt heavy and nowhere near as smooth in tracking -- and far less appealing to the eye and hand.

I have had custom #1s made in many profiles to my taste in shape and caliber so the custom project idea holds no terrors for me. ( The nearest I have come in my own projects is a ltwt 20 inch barreled 6.8 SPC II -- not a Mannlicher in wood and blue but a standard type synthetic stock in all camo, stalking rifle profile.)

I have never even seen a custom Mannlicher #1 that approximates what i am after. Does anyone out there have experience on such a project and if so are there vital stats and picts available?

Thanks for any help in advance,
wunbe

I have been considering a similar project following some custom rifle builds I completed last year. I was actively pursuing a No. 3 project with a full stock, but then got delayed. Where I was headed was to engage Treebone Carving for the stock (planning to send them a No. 1 RSI forend if needed to duplicate - at least a pattern to get started), a new barrel chambered in either 6.5x55 Swede or .260 Remington. I was planning to further refine the forend to the more elegant dimensions you describe in your OP.

I had copied some custom rifles whose lines I like to provide me some pleasing lines to guide my work. I copied these from the Hallowell&Co library:

http://www.hallowellco.com/steyr%20mannlicher_deluxe.htm

As you mention in your OP, I also much prefer the elegant lines of the lower two rifles, and envision those lines on a No. 1. The custom No. 1 shown is nice and pleasing to the eye, but it seems to accomplish that with the schnabel shape on the forend - I prefer the muzzle cap approach.

The big difference I see in the Ruger No. 1 RSI forend is the straight line from trigger guard to muzzle cap. The more elegant and pleasing to the eye incorporate a slight belly / curve approximately midway, and then straighten out to that slim profile going forward to the muzzle cap. That's what I envision in my custom No. 1 stock.

That's as far as I've gotten. I will be very interested in further replies to your OP which will be useful to my quest as well.

wunbe

Buckeye
Cellar701,

Thanks for the picts and evidence that others are pursuing a similar project. I'll' keep in touch as my fixation evolves.

For the moment I am considering going scopeless to save weight and improve handling. I also am thinking receiver sight or high end Safari irons as the standard Ruger rear sight is useless with my old eyes.

I'd also want to lose the RSI 's steel end cap which can make for flaky groups so the shnabel pictured is a definite candidate. I also am partial to the straight shotgun-style butt stock. Several of my custom #3s have that treatment.

Regards,
wunbe