Custom Ordered Ruger No.1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
They CAN do it, witness the recent batch of 45-70 with 26 inch barrels. Before we go too wild and exotic on calibers, remember they have to have availability of proof loads from somewhere in the world.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Watergoat said:
They CAN do it, witness the recent batch of 45-70 with 26 inch barrels. Before we go too wild and exotic on calibers, remember they have to have availability of proof loads from somewhere in the world.

THAT'S the BIG key! Spoke on more than one occasion with reps and it's the availability of proof loads that kills many introductions. There's Black Hills and a European company they get them from - mostly the Euro company is used from what it seemed. Figure the price and lead times for that and it's a good size undertaking with the shipping, hazmat, tariffs and all.

Seems most only half read the OP. The part about such a option being "Obviously, it would have to be in calibers that are, or have been chambered by the Factory". Guess some read what they want. :roll:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Also, consideration for the nay-sayers... If you were to think about it, the distributor runs are basically what's being thought of here in a way. Get enough interest and be able to come together and cooperate to get a non-cataloged model and with the help of a distributor, it can happen.
Of course very few can come to grips with getting anything other than exactly what they want - no exceptions... Well those will be the ones NOT getting their heart's desire. Compromise CAn get things done. ;)

Just saying...

Been here, done this and it worked. :)

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
280 or 348 with 24" bbl with sites and Henry forend. I would prefer a "B" weight bbl but would live with "A" weight

Where do I sent the check and when :lol:

Dave

Con

Bearcat
El Numero Uno said:
Obviously, it would have to be in calibers that are, or have been chambered by the Factory; standard barrel contours would have to be maintained, length might vary within certain parameters. Stocks are optional.

So offer what Savage does to its customers? Note ... these are not options for those outside the USA so the point is irrelevant to me personally being in Australia.

As it stands, Ruger cannot supply in any timely manner what is ordered from here with extensive waits or part shipments made. For example I waited 18 months for a Ruger 375H&H follower and it still never arrived! I know that for me and a few of my friends, its made us wary of ordering anything from Ruger so a custom shop option would be interesting, but realistically I'd be better engaging the services of a gunsmith.

Regular production 'flagship' models would be of interest ... say a Tropical in 500NE at a 25-30% premium. With dies available from Hornady and ammunition ... that Ruger never attempted it is an absolute mystery.
Cheers...
Con

mattsbox99

Hunter
They already make or have made everything I want. There are usually 300+ guns on gunbroker to browse through when I get to looking. I'm patient enough to wait for the right ones to show up.

picketpin

Buckeye
You can have 250 or maybe as low as 200 of whatever you want to pay for.

As for compromise to get it done. What's the point of a custom/semi custom rifle if it is identical to 249 others?? You are simply talking another dealer special.

Actually that was/is how the 303 Brit came about. enough people showed enough interest for enough time that the wholesaler decided to order it. The same thing with the long awaited 250 Savage.

The 45-70 26" C started life as a special order from a non profit. Ruger made the barrels and assembled the rifles and the non profit refused them because they had wanted a 28" barrel which Ruger couldn't make with their tooling and equipment. That left Ruger a run of 26" 45-70 barrels. They offered them to Lipseys and the barrels were used for the rifles as released.

If you wait long enough there should be some 270s in the "S" configuration available on the secondary market. Of course they'll have non factory embellishments and engraving but....................

Being a factory assembled rifle is the underlying issue. As stated in the initial post you would need to do what was done in 1967. Order your barrel, your wood choice, your sighting options and what you want it chambered in from the list provided. Nothing not on the list will be chambered. No barrel profile not already made would be made. Unless we already have reamers and proof loads you are not going to get it.

Take a look at the 1967 catalog and add the "V" profile and the RSI and that would be what you could build with the addition of things that have been chambered since in the #1 was introduced.

If you were a FOB or you whined long enough and hard enough you could get a one off under the old Ruger. In the new corporate enviroment I wouldn't even expect that to be a reality.

In an era when they are reducing configurations and chamberings and doing what essentually amounts to multiple short runs just to keep the product alive I simply can not imagine them taking on the project. I've certainly got a negative response to the idea on the talk to the CEO page. Others, much better placed to know people within Ruger have been told the same.

We can all dream. But if you want a one off and you really want to shoot it within your lifetime, I'd build one. If it's important that it look as Ruger as it can then use factory parts including barrels if at all possible. I defy the average person to look at most of my wildcats or odd configurations and tell whether they are factory or not, without looking at the engraving for the chamber designation. But they are not factory. I admit that were/had they been built by the factory they would have retained value as long as they would letter. However the secondary market and values has never been an issue that concerned Ruger.

While I too would love factory rifles built to order within reason, I don't get the reluctance to simply build one if it's really "What I've wanted all my life". Must have more will power than I do.

Ross

Major T

Blackhawk
Lee, I am about to near the end of my buying as I have most all of what I want and I should really take into consideration my age, BUT perhaps just a couple more. I am interested. This, as you describe it, is more or less what Shiloh does, except they offer a lot of wood, finish and sight options. Their fit and finish on the basic rifle is outstanding, but pricey. Best wishes, jack

winchester37

Single-Sixer
I agree that a 'custom' #1 would be tempting, I also would like a 1-S 0r 1-A in 348...but, volume in this manufacturing world is KING and small or individual orders do not excite major companies.

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
I'm in! Put me on the waiting list for a 338 Federal 1A. I know they've never chambered it, but if they'll do a .358 Win 1A, I'll pony up again.
Thx Lee,
DMc

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
I'd love to see the #1B in .280 Remington again, and 6mm Remington. I think it would be great to see the #1B format and build it exactly as the #1B's are, except for the medium heavy barrel. Make it in a standard contour as an option. It would weight just a bit less but still keep the great looks of the #1B. In my opinion it's the best looking of all the #1's.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
6mm Remington,
The 1B barrel contour has been considered the "standard", with the A being the lighter barrel contour. The Tropicals and Varmints have been the heavier contours, the C and D.
Lipsey's had an Exclusive in 2006 that sounds like what you are asking for; a 24" A weight barrel with a beavertail forearm that was termed the AB. It was only chambered in .25-06. The A weight barrel is pretty light to take out longer than 24", especially with a bore diameter greater than 7mm.
Thanks to all of you who have weighed in, even though some failed to heed the notice to consider only calibers that are, or have been, chambered by Ruger.
As picketpin notes, this is what the 1st Advertisement allowed in 1967. I think it's failure 45 years ago was that this "Single Shot" concept had just been sprung on American shooters; the 1967 rifles generally had "pine board" plain wood; and the March 1968 American Rifleman magazine had a Dope Bag "killer" write up.You read this and wonder how the No.1 survived at all. 40+ years and ~400,000 rifles later!
Don't get your hopes up; it is still a very, very, long shot!

Fred M

Bearcat
A 9.3x74R with a light weight 24-26" octagon barrel would turn my crank.
A 257WBY Mag with a light octagon barrel at 26" I would also lke.

As a matter of fact I send a letter to Ruger in 1968 and ask them to chamber
a 26" #1 in that 257 WBY Mag caliber. They said maybe some time later we will include some calibers lke that.

If I get my marbles together I may find this letter with Ruger's anwer.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Well, Fred, if you can find your letter, I would like to buy it! Interesting that when the 2 Weatherby Magnum calibers( .300 & .270) that the .257 Weatherby did not get made also. A 1S or 1B would be a nice rifle.
I will edit to add, my Brother-in-Law is having a No.1 in .257 Weatherby with a 27" barrel made up.

Latest posts