Custom Ordered Ruger No.1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

picketpin

Buckeye
Fred: I asked for a 257 Roberts in 1967. You just didn't hound them enough. I wrote or called several times a year for years. Finally when they chambered the first 77s in 257 Roberts in 1972, my 257 Roberts non prefix "B" arrived at my dealers at the same time my 77ST 257 Roberts showed up. No letter no explanation no nothing to the dealer other than my name, address and phone number. I refer to it as my AOB rifle rather than my FOB rifle, Annoyance of Bill. ;-) I think it got made to make me go away, once they had chamber reamers

Probably never get cataloged/made in 257 Weatherby. Most of the demand has/is satisfied by guys that have punched the various 25-06 configurations.

Ross

Fred M

Bearcat
Well Numro Uno.
I found the letter from Ruger dated Sept 22/1967. Don't know aboput selling it
but I can make a copy and send it to you. The letter was written 44 years ago.
Can you believe it. I am too old now to make good use of a 257 Wby.

It says in the letter quote. Perhaps a year from now we will be able to consider offering,on special order, the single shot in your favorite caliber.

I did not follow up on a special order for a #1 in 257Wby, since I bought a MKV in 257Wby. It was not a good gun and needed to be rebarreled and a new stock suplied by Wby. Nothing but trouble.

Send me your addres if you want a copy.

Fred M.

Fred M

Bearcat
Picketpin.
You can not imagine what I all found during my search for the 257Wby Ruger letter. Some origional letters from Elmer Keith about some custom rifles. Great guy he always answered my letters. We talked about a Ruger#1 in 340Wby he claimed it to be one of the best elk calibers. He did all his writing with a type writer.

picketpin

Buckeye
I was in Boise going to college when Elmer had been moved to the nursing home in Boise from Salmon after his stroke. Themagazine, can't remember if it was Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo asked that guys that lived near by visit. I used to go to the nursing home on Emerald and visit him once a week. He died about the time I graduated. John Taffin was also a regular visitor. I think that's what got him to change from Junior High English teacher to Gun Writer. ;-)

I have about half of the letters I got from Ruger since 1967. I have my 1977 letter from JD Clayton telling me they didn't make a 257 Roberts non prefix #1 "B" when I wrote him a letter asking to buy one when he ran his first add in Shotgun News. I didn't really understand that mine was a one off till then. I called him and then sent him pictures. SOMEWHERE around here is his Jan 1978 letter back offering to buy mine or swap for .............THAT'S the one I need to find. He had talked to somebody at the factory that confirmed they had built mine. That's the provenance I need. :) Of course it isn't leaving the family so it's probably not critical but it would be NICE. Like many FOB rifles it won't letter. It letters as the rifle they took apart to use to install the barrel on. I assume they used a 6mm because of the extractors being the same. Hopefully in the next/last move it'll turn up.

I never punched my #1 "S" from 338 to 340 WBY but in a #1 you can get the 338 AWFULLY close to 340 WBY speeds with a 250 grain bullet.

The nursing aides were funny. "All he ever talks about is GUNS". Yep.

I have a sort of gray/green custom "Elmer" hat that his wife gave me after the funeral hanging on a deer rack in the den.

Ross

NYC_Shooter

Bearcat
I would order the following:

- K1-B in .264 Win Mag
- K1-RSI in 7x57
- K1-RSI in .250 Savage

All with walnut stocks. I'm sure I could think of good reasons for other "must haves" but, if this were a legitimate possibility, these would be the ones I would order.

I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. Is anyone at Ruger listening?

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I like the idea but don't see it happening. On the off chance Ruger did, there are three I'd like.

1S in 30-06
1S 8x57
1A 7x57

picketpin

Buckeye
I'd just go through the 1967 catalog and order the configurations I don't already have. I could even live with the "original" cartridges.

sadly it'll never happen.

Ross

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
MMichaelAK said:
I like the idea but don't see it happening. On the off chance Ruger did, there are three I'd like.

1S in 30-06
1S 8x57
1A 7x57

That's two votes (at least) for the 1S in 30-'06. Us & 248 close friends might be able to push it through Lipsey's...

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Thanks to all who have registered an opinion. However, those several of you wanting a .348 Winchester; it does not fit the stated criteria of having to be presently, or have been previously, chambered by Ruger.

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
For those pining for a 348W, may I suggest a 9.3x74R? It fits most of the criteria: Old, rimmed, classic, big, powerful, expensive, hard to find in stores, properly weird, no common cast bullet molds, kills anything and everything, kicks properly hard but not brutal, did I mention spendy, and you have no trouble finding your rifle in the rack at deer camp. Maybe the best part is the sound it makes ejecting the fired case. Reminds me a lot of the 105mm howitzer.............

Fred M

Bearcat
Watergoat.
The 9.3x74R is not much of a kicker, because it is ordained with a heavy 22" barrel at least mine is. Which makes the rifle clumsy and front heavy. I am thinking of taking off all the sights and milling the barrel octagon to get rid of some weight up front. A slim 24" sporter weight barrel would suit me a lot better.

But all that is a lot of work and perhaps not worth the effort. Can't make up my mind. I don't get the 22" barrel idea on the Ruger#1 the rifle is short enough with 26" barrel.

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
I still think the idea they had about making the 1B with the slightly lighter barrel and maybe making it a 24" instead of a 26" using the same forearm would be a hit. I love my #1B's, but just a slightly lighter barrel would help cut weight but still give the benefits of a velocity gain with the 24" tube.

I really love pretty walnut, but I'm also very practical and think a laminate would sure be sharp. Boyds makes a nutmeg laminate we put on my son's Ruger MKII 6mm that is beautiful!

I need another 280 Remington and I skip past a Model 70 Winchester sporter or a Remington CDL for the shot at a .280 in a #1B! I'd probably buy another 6mm or a 25-06 since I do have one 6mm #1B already.

I think I have Rifle Addiction Deficit Disorder! I should post this humorous tale I put on another site explaning this ailment that I think a lot of us have! :p :D

picketpin

Buckeye
I'm still stimied> I would love to have the obne of #1 in something not cataloged. What I don't framk;y understand is people reluctance to simply build these rifle that you say you would love to have. Holding out for then to be built by Ruger is a long shot.

At least 90& of what has been mentioned either in terms of configurations and/or chambering can simply be made with existing factory parts.

Want a 30-06 "S" Buy a "B" and order the rib with the rear sight and the front sight, complete from Ruger and install them. Wait and you'll run across a AH for4eqarm off a "S" and there you have it. Your very own 30-06 "S"

If you want your #1 with a 24" lighter weight barrel simply have the smith turn down your existing "B" barrel and cut it to length. It's already stress relieved so altering it should be an issue. I guess you could either fill the existing "B" forearm or open up a "A" forearm.

The only ones that you wouldn't be able to build are exactly the ones that don't meet the original criteria. CURRENTLY chambered or CHAMBERED in the past. So mo 348 but you sure could build one.

Yes, it would be great if they were "Factory" and they would hold value. As that is not likely to happen I still suggest if you have a dream #1, make the darned thing.

Ross

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
Fred M - If you want a light 9.3x74, let me hook you up with my buddy who has a Merkel combo, 9.3 over 16. Checkered butt, no pad at all. About 7 lb, not much more even with the Alaskan on top. And a second set of barrels, 16 over 16 for doves or pheasants. I could shoot any of my 9.3s all day. The Merkel, not so much......

picketpin

Buckeye
You just have to order ALL of the parts by number. Same with the dovetailed rib and the rear sight. I left out the barrel band for the sling swivel but it too is available though it has to be fitted.

RWT

Fred M

Bearcat
picketpin said:
I'm still stimied> I would love to have the obne of #1 in something not cataloged. What I don't framk;y understand is people reluctance to simply build these rifle that you say you would love to have. Holding out for then to be built by Ruger is a long shot.
Ross

Yes I agree 100%. I build two of my own a 6.5x284 and a 7x57 both turned out wonderful. The 6.5 was done by reboring a 243 26" "B" barrel and milling it octagon. The barrel has a bout perfect weight and ballance. The 1/4 rib was a little work but not much. Of all the #1's I got this is the best handling rifle in my vault. BTW this rifle is a one holer with three shots.

The forearm was reworked from the standard "B" recheckered and shortened.

IMGP0020.jpg

IMGP0010_800x600.jpg

Below is the 7x57 made up from used parts nice little gun 22" barrel shoots very well 3/4" three shots.

IMGP0150.jpg