Custom Barrels for single six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tetonmoo

Bearcat
Want to put a 16 inch barrel on my Single Six Does anyone know where I can get one or get one made?

seem to recall there may be an issue as to how long the barrel can be on a "handgun" and when does it become a "rifle", shoulder stocks, and so forth, so on...better check with the local BATFE office for any clarifications.
Hate to see anyone get into any legal hassles,issues, etc.........and the internet is NOT the place for ANY "free" legal advice...............
Yes, any custom shop , gunsmith can make up and install a longer barrel, just need to get, find the cost, quotes, timing, etc.....Brownells, for one, sells barrel 'blanks', need to get it threaded, fitted and finished.........

tetonmoo

Bearcat
I already have the stock attached. Trying to make a 22 revolving carbine. It will meet the 26 inch rifle requirement. I was looking for someone who might have done this before, save me reinventing the wheel, as I'm the gunsmith doing the work.

street

Hunter
tetonmoo said:
I already have the stock attached. Trying to make a 22 revolving carbine. It will meet the 26 inch rifle requirement. I was looking for someone who might have done this before, save me reinventing the wheel, as I'm the gunsmith doing the work.
I think having a revolver with a shoulder stock installed is illegal unless it has the longer barrel installed on it. It may be illegal to have the shoulder stock and the revolver not installed in the same house. I would check on some legal advice before I let anyone see this setup. :(

tetonmoo

Bearcat
Wow, I wanted a simple point in the right direction to another barrel. I am an FFL, since the gun is in prototype right now it is not illegal! Until I fill out and file the form 2, I have nothing to worry about. Once again I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done something similar. I do not need a bunch of comments regarding the legality of my project.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WHAT YOU DO NEED are an appreciation for folks trying to keep your butt out of a federal crime. You should also be considering a good lawyer who knows gunlaw as you are a lot closer to the abyss than you have any idea.

tetonmoo

Bearcat
Once again, I am A FEDERAL FIREARM LICENSEE, with a Type 7 Manufacturer license. I think I know the legalities of the project. And good business sense tells me that, if there are parts available for a project I should try to find them, instead of building from scratch. You assume that you know the legalities better than me when you clearly do not. But thanks!

street

Hunter
tetonmoo said:
Wow, I wanted a simple point in the right direction to another barrel. I am an FFL, since the gun is in prototype right now it is not illegal! Until I fill out and file the form 2, I have nothing to worry about. Once again I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done something similar. I do not need a bunch of comments regarding the legality of my project.
No need to get upset!!! Just remember free advice is worth what you pay for it. :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
You can put a barrel ten feet long on a Single Six and it still ain't a rifle. :roll:

I would imagine virtually any decent gunsmith could install a custom barrel on a Single Six. I would start with a premium blank if I was going to the trouble though.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I know of no long barrels made for the single six ready to install.

A neat way was to use two Ruger 9 1/2" barrels to make a long barrel. It started out with a 9 1/2" single six factory Ruger. Remove the front 2" with the sight attached. Cut a female thread in the muzzle end of the barrel. Take the 2nd 9 1/2" barrel, cut off the shank with the forcing cone. Fit the end of the first barrel and shoulder of the 2nd barrel so when screwed together, the rifling lines up and the front sight is at 12 o'clock. Taper the joint to match, polish off the address and plug the ejector rod housing screw hole and finish flush. Voila, it's 16 1/2".

Cut the male thread on the rear end of the 2" left over front piece with the sight from the 1st barrel. When the front half of barrel is unscrewed, screw in this 'cap' with the sight on it and shoot it with the short barrel which is still about 9" long.

Has it's unique advantages and coolness factor but sounds like more work than starting with a custom barrel blank.