Copper ribbing in the barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Which product do you recommend for removing the copper residual in the barrel? I see that the GM store close to my house has a few options available.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Thank you. I shall purchase. I believe the Ruger branded cleaning kit I use has a brass brush.

Nope. It says they're bronze. Still ok or not?

Guessing not since bronze is mostly copper.

DGW1949

Hunter
MikeAvery71 said:
Thank you. I shall purchase. I believe the Ruger branded cleaning kit I use has a brass brush.

Nope. It says they're bronze. Still ok or not?

Guessing not since bronze is mostly copper.

The problem with brass brushes is that they are effected by copper-solvents.
Some say that they'll actually deposit copper into the bore, and some say that dipping brass brushes into the solvent-container will contaminate the solvent.
What I say is that while both of those scenarios are feasible, I (and most other folks) have used brass brushes for years with perfectly-good results.

To me, the important thing is to do what Pat said relative to cleaning the bore after you're done scrubbing. That, and don't wet the brush by sticking it into the solvent bottle.
On a related note.... I don't stick anything into a solvent bottle except a clean patch, which in turn, is used to wet the bore prior to scrubbing. Sometimes (depending on how neglected the bore is), I'll wet the bore 3 or 4 times while letting the gun sit for hour or so in between, before I even pick up a brush. Reason is, it's the solvent that actually does most of the work, and it takes time for it to do it's job.

Another thing to be cautious of is that copper solvents almost invariably contain ammonia, which itself will deteriorate not only copper, but if left long enough, will also etch steel. Point being that (again, like Pat said), when you're done cleaning, take some steps to get every bit of the solvent out of the bore that you can get out.
As for the brush itself, you'll find that it'll last longer if you slosh it around in some hot soapy water after you're done with it, rinse it well, and let it dry before storing it away.

Hope something here helped.

DGW

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I ended up ordering KG K12 copper remover, some nylon bore brushes, and Break Free.

And thank you for your comments and suggestions. I learned a lot from them.

Mus408

Hunter
I just use Ballistol and the little amount of copper left in the bore doesn't seem to hurt how it shoots as far as getting on target. A plus is it won't damage the metal,grips or your hands!
Use it on all my guns.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
For any residual deposits in the bore, I use Kano Kroil. Kroil is not a solvent but is a super penetrating oil. Once sprayed in the bore and allowed to set for 20 minutes or so, Kroil creeps about and under the deposits. Use of a brush followed by a patch removes all deposits, in my experience.

All that's left is a mirror finish in the bore.....

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I don't know why, but I purchased a 16oz bottle of the copper remover. I think 4oz would last a lifetime.