Cook your own steak at an expensive restaurant?? Mercy.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
Sounds like a "fun" place to eat. Those types of places are as much for the mood and ambiance as the food. Think what Starbucks built itself on before they became the monolith they are today.
As far as eating steak out I rarely do. When I go out to eat I like to get food I can't make myself. I consider myself a "foodie" but that's because growing up I wanted to be a chef. I took cooking classes, had fun with it. Up until a family friend who was a chef said "if you love cooking don't become a chef, you'll end up hating it". I still love food, trying different things and experimenting. Food and cooking can be great fun. The last time I had a steak out was at a place where the steaks topped $100 if you so pleased. Luckily it was for a client of my wife's and I was able to indulge without remorse. I beleive I had a bison filet. Absolutely wonderful and cooked perfectly. But unless someone else is paying, not something I'll do again.

RolandDeschain said:
Oh man this topic brings back some memories...

There used to be a restaurant where you cooked your own steak in Evansville Indiana called Elliot's Steak House. It was a lot of fun. They had a big stone grill in the middle of the floor and everyone stood around grilling, laughing, talking, and drinking beer. I was on the Miss Evansville flatboat team back in the early 90s and remember all of us going there one night to tackle their 32 ounce steak challenge. If you could eat the whole thing you got a T shirt and your name on their Wall of Fame. I can still remember it like yesterday - had no problem finishing off the 2lb steak, plus a large baked potato, several beers, AND had a slice of key lime pie to finish it off. Kept the shirt for years, might even still be around here somewhere.

Although we eat out several times I week I rarely get steak though. I'm like others here on that on that one - not only better quality but too much fun to pick one out myself and grill it home.

32oz sounds about right for a full meal deal, but hardly a challenge.

This great place in Portland http://www.saylers.com/dining-room.html has a 72oz full meal deal challenge. Surprisingly they are even a few gals with their photo on the wall for completing the meal. In my younger days it was talked about quite a bit but I never gave it a run. I did have one large friend that gave it a try----he failed but did give it his best try.

nekvermont

Buckeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
There was a place on the way to Fairbanks called Skinny Dicks Half Way Inn, where you cooked your own steak. They used good meat though and it was cheaper.

By Gosh there is such a place. I couldn't believe it so I had to look it up. The reviews are funny.:lol:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60826-d5509922-Reviews-Skinny_Dick_s_Halfway_Inn-Fairbanks_Alaska.html

bobski

Hunter
anyone in Norfolk will know of THE GRATE STEAK.
30 years rated best in the town.
it eliminates any complaints.
you can still order it cooked, but its a place for guys who like to do it their way. you even get to pick the slab of meat yourself.
I liked it.
got to meet a lot of good fellas and chicks...when I was single.
you got to learn which ones knew how to cook early on.
lol.

Latest posts