Converting left-handed 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

budder

Bearcat
Hey all,

I want to build a left-handed 10/22. But since the only way to acquire a left-ejecting receiver is to purchase the custom Ruger left-handed 10/22, I'm gonna have to start with that. So my plan is to buy the rifle from Ruger, pull the receiver, and build the rest of the gun around that. My question: Is there any reason this might not work?

https://ruger.com/micros/customShop/img/products/features/10-22-LH-BlackGray.jpg

Stock, barrel, trigger, etc. should be universal between the two platforms, right? I know that the left-handed model has to use specific magazines, but is there anything else? Like are the bolts or charging handles specific to one or the other? I'm coming from the AR world and I have no experience with 10/22s. With the AR, if you have a left-ejecting receiver, the only other thing you really need to be left-specific is the bolt carrier group.

Also, since I will now have a "receiver-less" 10/22, I figured I might as well "put it back together" and give it to a family member. So now my question in reverse: Can I just buy a regular receiver and put it in the left-handed chassis with all left-handed parts? If not, why not/what else needs to be swapped?

Thanks!

I've never even seen a left-handed 10/22, but FWIW I would GUESS the barrel might be cut/relieved on the left to clear a left-side extractor, and the ejector would be on the right side of the trigger assembly to kick the empties out the left side of the receiver. You could probably modify a standard barrel (or possibly use a 77/22 barrel - seems like they were cut for dual extractors??); but you might have to stick with the factory left-handed trigger housing. Hopefully one of the 10/22 guys will jump in & provide more than guesses!

Good luck with it, sounds like a fun project!
:)

I am 66 years old and a lefty. I wear safety glasses on my right handed 10-22s. There not anything like a centerfire rifle or shotgun opening in front of your face and ejecting the spent cases across your vision. Good Luck with your venture.

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with Mobuck. The potential for different parts exists. As noted by the_leper_colony the extractor cut in the barrel is likely opposite. And the bolt is likely different due to the extractor & possibly other operating parts.

So my question would be more along the lines of; "What kind of a build are you attempting? What is wrong with the left handed Ruger as it is?"

budder

Bearcat
I agree with Mobuck. The potential for different parts exists. As noted by the_leper_colony the extractor cut in the barrel is likely opposite. And the bolt is likely different due to the extractor & possibly other operating parts.

So my question would be more along the lines of; "What kind of a build are you attempting? What is wrong with the left handed Ruger as it is?"

Nothing is wrong with it. I just want to "build" one from the ground-up. Just like you can do with a standard 10/22, I just want to do with a lefty 10/22. Basically pick out each component individually.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Like I often ask my wife:
" Wouldn't it be easier to just be right handed?"
You could build a right handed rifle the way you want it, and design (or find) a custom brass deflector.

I'm left handed and have a couple center fire rifles in left hand configuration. I don't really like them. But they are bolt action. It's awkward to use them.

but to the parts in a 10/22, if the magazines are different, wouldn't the trigger have to be different as well? And the barrel for the extractor as someone else mentioned.

I'm a southpaw. For decades folks have told me I don't need left handed firearms. I have found a solution.

Go to the range and have a right handed person use my left handed Remington 700. Shuts every one of them up.

Southpaws that say they don't need left handed firearms have simply been brainwashed into believing what the right handed world has forced upon them. Those that won't admit it are simply to hard headed to admit they have been fooled.

...I feel sorry for those that are "left eye" dominant........:unsure:

...you want it left, go for it, but do not be surprised if the secondary market and others who make LOTS of stuff for the 10/22 platform, does NOT have them in 'left' handed;):cool::rolleyes: