Convertible 77/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fishman777

Bearcat
I've recently been looking into getting a bolt action rimfire rifle.

While looking around, I noticed something interesting. Several manufacturers are now offering convertible bolt actions.

The Sako Quad is convertible between .22lr, .22mag, .17 Mach2, and .17 HMR. I've also recently noticed that the CZ 455 is also a convertible between .22 lr and .17 hmr.

I'd love to see Ruger do something like this with either the 10/22 or the 77/22. I'd get the CZ, but I like stainless steel components over blued carbon/alloy steel.

Im just curious. Would anybody else out there be interested in something like this?

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Wasn't the 'convertible' part around long ago? I know I have an old one around labeled 22 short, long and long rifle. Never seen a 22lr and 22mag rifle though, won't work with 17 hm2 and 17 hmr, Maybe you're talking about different barrel swaps?

chet15

Hawkeye
I assume Sako and CZ are offering a set of barrels with a single receiver to make that happen?
Chet15

Fishman777

Bearcat
Sorry.

The guns have extra barrels and other accessories that allow for barrel swaps between calibers. They aren't true "convertibles". I probably should have been more specific.

Does anyone know if this can be done with the current lineup of 77/22s and 77/17s?

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Don't the new 77/xx Rugers have screw in barrels? Back not long ago, think they attached similar to 10/22 so swaps easy and fast, not sure about current manufacture 77/xx swaps. Go over to rimfirecentral.com to see some wild builds, 10/xx and 77/xx. Almost makes me want to try a custom build myself some they are so cool.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
If you find one of the older 77/17HM2's you can get a factory take off barrel for a 77/22 from several sources (I got mine from Clark Custom for about $27 blued, the ss was about $40). Then you can shoot 22LR and 17HM2.

Same situation with 22Mag and 17HMR.

With the difference in shell length making a 4 barrel swap isn't a real option.

Ted

edlmann

Blackhawk
TBear77 said:
If you find one of the older 77/17HM2's you can get a factory take off barrel for a 77/22 from several sources (I got mine from Clark Custom for about $27 blued, the ss was about $40). Then you can shoot 22LR and 17HM2.
Same situation with 22Mag and 17HMR.
With the difference in shell length making a 4 barrel swap isn't a real option.

I think I've heard, but haven't personally tried yet, that you can swap between the magnum and LR rifles by also swapping trigger guard and magazine.

slowhand

Single-Sixer
I've just finished one up.Have all the barrels you listed.One is ruger the 22lr.The others are GM barrels.It works just fine.All you change is the bottom metal.Not hard to change out either.You'll need to find one of the older models as the new ones are threaded barrels.Don't have a picture yet with all the barrels laid out.Here's the gun in 22lr.
7722newwood001.jpg

TBear77

Single-Sixer
I assume when you're takling about changing out the bottom metal; you're talking about changing out the triggerguard/mag release assembly and the magazines? Are you using the magnum magazine for all 4 rounds?

Ted

slowhand

Single-Sixer
Yes just the trigger guard assy.Have to use the mags that fit the cartridge.Mag for 22 mag and 17HMR.22 lr for the lr and the 17M2.Works great and you can change them out in about ten minutes.Right your scope dope down for each caliber and doesn't take long to be shooting.

Latest posts