Confused...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
It's been about 9 years since I've been on the forum, but I remember the Gallery section being filled with all kinds of great gun posts. Now it just seems to be a gathering place for amateurist nature photography. Maybe the moderators could consider having a place just for pictures of guns? Or maybe I missed where that is if it exists.

Not trying to be offensive to anyone--just an observation from a Ruger fanatic.

Are you speaking of photos such as this?
lHM2wZml.jpg

Or are you speaking of photos such as this?
GIKt9iJl.jpg

Both are taken by am AMATEUR; me. I am sure that in 9 years you have missed some really remarkable photos of various guns. Of the 4840 posts, in the Gallery, I am sure that you can find what you like; search away. :D :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome back!
As a long time member here,, and I do remember your handle,, being a Southern boy,,, I see what you see. However,,, remember that this Forum has always been a bit "looser" than others. There aren't many restrictions on things as long as folks be nice & polite in all places.
There are all kinds of pictures here,,, and many are super nice. We gun folks also have passions other than our guns. And when this place was "younger" & had fewer members,, there were more gun pics, & less of other things.
Relax & enjoy the parts you enjoy & allow others to do the same. This place has evolved,,, but it's still ad free,, no pop-ups,, less clutter,,, and mostly spammer free.
There are plenty of gun pics all over this place,, & not always in the Gallery.

Contender pretty much nailed it.

I often liken this forum to a bunch of old men sitting around a gun shop telling the same stories they've told for years. And the listeners paying attention and laughing just like they did the first time they heard the story.

We are truly blessed that this place exists.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I often liken this forum to a bunch of old men sitting around a gun shop telling the same stories they've told for years. And the listeners paying attention and laughing just like they did the first time they heard the story."

Geeze,,, I may resemble that remark! :D

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Jeepnik said:
Contender pretty much nailed it.

I often liken this forum to a bunch of old men sitting around a gun shop telling the same stories they've told for years. And the listeners paying attention and laughing just like they did the first time they heard the story.

We are truly blessed that this place exists.
Exactly! It's true we may not have a lot of the younger guys here, but the ones we do have are getting good lessons on firearms, the beauty to be found in this country, history ........and manners! Welcome back! Stay active with the forum!

BDM1

Single-Sixer
I really enjoy gun pics, but i also enjoy nature pics and all kinds of other ones. Just adds a little variety, it seems, and makes things a little more interesting. As for the nature pics in particular, i think that is because gun folks just seem to be "outdoorsy" in general. I also was absent for several years (i was formerly "BDM"). Glad to see you back, too. Some user names missing that i still remember, but still the nicest bunch of people on any of the forums i frequent. This is the only one i care to post on, and i don't even currently own a Ruger!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

This thread's title has me confused even more. A nine year hiatus ends with a complaint about too many amateurish nature shots instead of enough gun pictures? Hmmm...
Whether it was a good lesson or not, I was taught not to criticize a man's (or woman's) work unless I could at least match it. So maybe someone needs to contribute some of his own photos to get that party started... anybody can put up their efforts here for the rest of us to enjoy, and one great thing is there's a distinct shortage of photo snobs hanging out!

I'm one amateur who:

a) Quickly tires of most gun pixs--I mean, come on, how many ways can you turn your BH on a tree stump or park your 10/22 against a fence?;

b) Likes the nature shots, because professionally done or not, there's always something there that's unique and not to be repeated. Add that we've been blessed with Doc Cash's "nature shots" time and again, including numerous shots of his famous windmill, which illustrates my point: it's always the same windmill, but never the same picture. Here's a guy who was taught by one of the best; and

c) Loves to learn from people who know what they're doing. And we've got several of them who know their way around a camera if one wishes to peruse the archives!

Rick C

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Kind of regretting posting this thread now. As I've said, it makes sense to me now. Not going to continue to explain that. Good day.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
StonewallRuger said:
Kind of regretting posting this thread now. As I've said, it makes sense to me now. Not going to continue to explain that. Good day.

Hi,

Why waste time on regrets? Yes, you may have stepped on your tail a bit with the OP, but you don't have to just stand on it. Get out there and take some pictures YOU like and put them up here! Doesn't matter what they are--guns, birds, fish, rocks, sunrises/sunsets, kids out shooting, cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc., etc.--there's room for all.

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
StonewallRuger said:
Haha I would if I could figure it out. My only internet use comes through my iPhone for now.

Hi,

My old boss loved the saying "Ain't no hill for a climber..."

We went to watch fireworks last night at my neighbor's church. They have a deal with the City and have been hosting a really great show for several years now. One of the adults was fiddling about with their phone trying to do something that involved pictures. Neighbor's BIL told how a group of kids, around 11-13, started a regular "program" at the church to teach "old folks" how to use their phones and get the most out of them.

Great idea! Now you've just gotta find a kid about junior high age who'll agree to take you on as a student. Maybe even make it a cooperative learning experience: he/she probably doesn't know much more about the guns you want to photograph than you do about smart phones. With parent's knowledge and consent, it might make a good deal for all of you. :)

Rick C