Compare cost of reloading cartridge versus cap and ball

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mchura

Bearcat
I have been reloading pistol cartridges for a while now, and so have an appreciation for cost per round. A primer costs about 4 cents, powder is about 1/3 cent per grain, and the cost of hard cast bullets vary, but an average between .32 cal and .45 cal is about 10 cents. I do not count the initial cost of the brass cartridge. Percussion caps are 8 cents (not sure why double the cost of a cartridge primer) and a .50 cal round ball (.490) is 11 cents.

What I am unable to determine is the cost per load of blackpowder. I know a pound of smokeless is 7000 grains...by weight. And we load cartridges by weight. But we load cap and ball by volume, and I haven't been able to figure out how many grains (by volume) are in a 1 pound (by weight) container of black powder.

I know this is a "Factory and Reloading" site, presumably reloading cartridge. But I suspect some of you out there have experience with black powder.

Link to a chart that may be of help:

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

The volume and weight of BP are theoretically pretty close to a 1:1 ratio. Theoretically. They'd probably be close enough for the type of calculation you are making.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I'd start by throwing the appropriate volumetric charge, then weighing it on the scale.

For example, let's say you want a 40 gr charge by volume. You get that from your volumetric measure, weigh it, repeat a few times and find it's averaging 39 gr. 7000 gr/lb divided by 39 gr/charge=179 charges/lb (rounded.) Calculations should proceed with ease from there!

Rick C

tinman

Buckeye
Your going to have an unknown in the equation. Reloads are a complete package.....once finished, all components are contained in the cartridge.....no "in the field" alterations are possible. Black powder charges and projectiles can be tailored made, one by one, as desired at that moment. Carry two or three different weight/composition bullets/balls in your kit........deer, turkey or squirrel can be taken in the same trip to the woods..... :idea:
The cost difference was never an issue for me.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I never paid no mind to that. I use between a 26 and 30 gr load in my .44 Colt Navy repro revolver per CVA instructions. BP locally is about $30/lb (if you can find it), but I don't shoot it much so a lb lasts me a few years. Balls, caps, and Crisco (or lubed wads) are pretty cheap.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Yes, primers do cost twice + the price of primers. I believe that is due to the much lower volume produced. Primers are not only used for reloading but for ammo production at the factory. I am just glad they are readily available locally.
CCI @ $5.99/100 and RWS @ $9.99/100 at LGS.

mchura

Bearcat
I just figure it costs more per bang, but fewer bangs each trip to the range. Entertaining and therapeutic to load in the garage and at the range. Part of the total experience, thanks.