compact .380 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I'm thinking about buying either an LCP or a Taurus TCP. I have studied both extensively, and the question I have is this; are you supposed to carry a round in the chamber? With the absence of any safety other than the really long trigger pull, is it safe to carry one of these "micro" guns with a round chambered?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Absolutely safe ... as safe as any Glock or revolver ... don't pull the trigger, and you won't hear a BANG. ALWAYS carry any gun in a holster properly designed for it. Having to fumble with a gun trying to rack the slide (especially a tiny gun like the LCP, P3AT, or the Taurus) is almost as bad as not having a gun on you at all. Not only that ... MANY, MANY malfunctions occur when the slide is racked, and a round fails to chamber for one reason or another. There is nothing unsafe about a gun with a round in the chamber ... unless your gun and trigger discipline is so bad that you don't even trust yourself.

REV

croscoe

Bearcat
You don't have to carry with a round in the chamber, but I and many others prefer to. It's not worth the risk to carry otherwise IMO. It is absolutely safe... Just practice proper trigger discipline and use a proper holster and you'll be ok. :)

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
I'm wearing my LCP with Crimson Trace in a Crossbreed Micro Clip as I type this and can't even tell it's there.

Absolutely, wholeheartedly, without a doubt, in all seriousness, keep one in the chamber if you are going to carry it!

Three50seven

Buckeye
I assumed they were designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, but since many people carry them in just a back pocket or coat pocket, I wondered if this was a good idea. I realize that the chances of somehow pulling the trigger unintentionally would be near zero, but I'm not that used to carrying autos, so I wanted to make sure this was how everyone did it. Thanks for the info guys!

Mike J

Hunter
There are pocket holsters & wallet holsters available for these guns.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Three50seven said:
since many people carry them in just a back pocket or coat pocket

Carrying ANY gun without the correct holster is asking for an AD. Simply put ... DON"T DO IT. The desantis nemesis is a great little holster, designed to stay in your pocket when you draw, and costs $10.

Get a key, a pen, a loop of thread, or a finger inside the trigger guard, and expect to hear an unexpected BANG when you least expected it. That will get you a bunch of felony charges like reckless endangerment, and the like.

ALWAYS use a holster designed for your gun.

REV

I agree.... pocket pistol requires a pocket holster that will keep the trigger and guard covered.

Most of us get used to racking a round into the chamber when practicing and don't realize that it actually takes a little finesse to do it right and just a slight slip of the hand or such can cause a jam.... when adrenaline is flowing is not the time to be fiddling with the slide, especially on a very small gun.