Cleaning up after a dipstick

Help Support Ruger Forum:

volshooter

Buckeye
Seen a half grown wild hen turkey dragging a leg that had a cross bolt in it, 2 days ago. Stupid incompetent wanta be hunters. I put the poor thing out of her misery before the yotes got her. It was a fresh wound so I harvested.
I really hate dipsticks like this. I have stumbled across many game animals grievously wounded. I saddens me.
However, the merciful killing of this fine bird found it's way into my deep fryer. It nourished my body and was real fine eating.
Who is teaching these folks the art of hunting/shooting and ethics????

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
LOTS of bow and Cross bow users prefer the ability to quietly sneak around on your ground and steal game animals. Harsh words, YOU BET...!

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Taking the plastic out of your wallet and buying all of the latest, high tech archery gear (and especially crossbows) does not a bowhunter make. It was a title that once had to be earned, through countless hours of practice, honing both your shooting skills and your tracking and trailing skills. But now, thanks to the urging of the "big name stars" on endless hunting shows, newcomers think they can buy their way into becoming an "instant bowhunter". The heart and soul of this noble and primitive sport has been lost. :(

Jeff

Robes

Single-Sixer
Have had the same problem with the so-called hunters on the property behind me. They shoot at anything that moves. I have had to bury 5 deer in 8 yrs including a fawn. One guy made the statement that me,.... mounted a my big (16 hands) white paint looks like a deer. My response to him is not printable on this forum....

GRAMPS 51

Buckeye
Yes there are reckless people in all walks of life but we should not group all bow hunters into that category anymore than handgun riflle or muzzeloader hunters are all people who carry handguns bad guys ? Lett me ask this did anyone call the authoritys if the bolt was stuck in the turkey I doubt it was a hunting crossbow more than likely kids with a junk bow any hunting bow or crossbow would have blown right thru it I hunt with bows crossbows and handguns muzzleloaders and rifles IMO it is not the best thing to bring hunting or hunters into a problem like this

GRAMPS

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I have a Bear quad limb compound bow equipped with a fiberoptic pendulum sight ,80% let off and a max draw weight of 70 lbs, but I like my new ld Shakespeare 45 lb recurve with no sights at all better.
I've never taken a deer with that compound bow ,but that old recurve has killed a pile of them.
Just old school I guess + with the recurve only being 45 lbs and shooting instinctive I make sure that I can make a clean kill.
You couldn't give me a new wiz bang cross bow.
I like the chall nge of the recurve, I limit my shots to 30 yards with it and its much more of a challenge with it and besides when they opened bow season in Va, all you could hunt with was along bow or recurve primitive hunting was the whole point anyway.
With a cross bow,you might as well be hunting with a rifle.
Lou

Enigma

Hunter
I have recently found myself wondering when and why crossrossbows made the transition for sub-$100 "toys" to $1K hunting machines. Guess I haven't been paying much attention. I imagine the story is something akin to the transition from wood and steel sidelock muzzle loaders shooting a patched round ball to stainless and synthetic inline rifle shooting smokeless powder to harvest game 200 yards away. It may be legal, but that's not what the sport is supposed to be about. Just MHO; I've pretty much given up hunting anyway.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Hey, I have and use a crossbow. I only hunt on my own land but there's always a chance of a deer crossing the fence. From my own experience, I don't feel a crossbow extends the shooting distance over a good compound. Last year, I hit a young deer too low simply due to my error. I found and dispatched that deer two days later within 100 yards of the point where it was first hit. Not something I'm proud of but I did finish my commitment.
We find wounded deer almost every year. The most likely scenario is a deer is shot and makes it to a property line. The shooter either doesn't know the next property owner or just doesn't bother to followup. Dead deer are also a result of "ground shrinkage". When the "4 point rule" went into effect, there were MANY illegal bucks left lying where they fell by hunters who couldn't count.

volshooter

Buckeye
Been a hunter for some years. It was a hunting bolt, complete with decent broadhead. My suspicion is a long shot, or a bounce wound. This is a rural area and calling authorities is a waste of time.
I hunt with a crossbow, compound and a recurve. Crossbows have allowed rifle hunters a new chance to harvest. Some of those folks think a scoped CB shoots like a rifle, well they don't. Arrows lose energy quickly and distance has to be accounted for. While a CB bolt might be from a 150 lbs. rig they lose energy very quick, just to light.
Quality archery hunters have really gotten a bad rap since our state allowed CB's. I am not against cross bows, just the folks who don't take the time to understand the limits. Yes, at say 50-60 yards I can hit with a CB or a heavy arrow from a compound, the energy at this yardage is lopsided between the two.
These are just dip sticks doing this. Same folk that do not practice rifle skill at different yardages.
All forms of archery equipment are just tools. It is the individual who is the dip stick. My recurve is reserved for under 25 yards stalking, that is my limit of my ability. I would not take a shot over 25-30 with a CB due to arrows energy. Compound with 125gr+ is good out to 50-60. Still I a risky shot but I know the instrument has the energy, if I can do my part. I have taken deer at 48 yards with the compound.
My point, I reckon is not the weapon but the lack of understanding, practice and the energy needed to do the job. I bet I could sight my CB to hit at 100 yards accurately, but I know it will not do the task of making clean kills.
Me, I like to get close, it's my thing.

Know your and your weapons limitations, and please practice before you hit the woods. It's the right thing to do as a sportsman least you get the rest of us bad mouthed or banned.

Jim Puke

Hunter
What you guys are saying is true, to some extent...BUT...there have been many game animals wounded with conventional archery gear, by folks that are practiced, pretty good hunters and decent folks. And, a wounded animal...is a wounded animal, despite whomever is doing the shooting.

This wounded animal stuff certainly did not start with the introduction of the legal crossbow hunting.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
No it didn't, but it isn't always the hunter either. A deer's reaction can turn a great shot into a bad shot or even clean miss. I wouldn't doubt a turkey could too.

You are correct on that and I know about that, first hand.

wolfsong

Staff member
Tracking game in the terrain of the western Sierra Nevada mountains would give Daniel Boone fits.

Too many animals have been lost while using archery gear of any type, in my opinion and experience. That's why I gave up archery hunting, although I have never lost game. Never stuck any, either, but that's not why I gave it up. I sold my gear because I couldn't dedicate enough time for practice, and I spent too much time helping other hunters track their wounded animals. Many were never found. I don't have any amateur bow hunting friends: they are, to the man, very good at bow hunting. Me, not so much. I know my limitations.

No, I just can't stand to lose game.

exavid

Hunter
volshooter said:
Seen a half grown wild hen turkey dragging a leg that had a cross bolt in it, 2 days ago. Stupid incompetent wanta be hunters. I put the poor thing out of her misery before the yotes got her. It was a fresh wound so I harvested.
I really hate dipsticks like this. I have stumbled across many game animals grievously wounded. I saddens me.
However, the merciful killing of this fine bird found it's way into my deep fryer. It nourished my body and was real fine eating.
Who is teaching these folks the art of hunting/shooting and ethics????

Seems to me that a turkey with a bolt through its leg shouldn't have been very hard to track and finish. Hard to see why they didn't.

volshooter

Buckeye
Such a low hit on the leg would and did allow this turkey to travel some distance. There was little blood. It would take someone that cares about recovering game and a hell of a tracker to follow this bird. I doubt any of us could have tracked this bird as she was still walking with a bolt in her leg. Most turkeys hit will fly if possible.
Absolutely, poorly hit game is nothing new. My point is that these new archery hunters don't take the time to sight in at yardages. Any bowhunter knows the POA is different at 15 yards vs. 30 yds. Not so with a rifle. (if I have to explain it you are not a bowhunter).
All projectiles fall to earth at the exact same rate. Speed/fps makes the difference on hold over. Very few bow rigs can beat 325 fps.
My opinion is that these new "archery hunters" believe their rigs will hit like a 30/06. Same POI at 25 and 125. They don't understand. They sight in at 20 yards but take 50+ yard shots.
Years ago I would sight in rifles for lazy folks. Most wanted a zero @ <100 yards. These same folks would take shots 2-3+ hundred yard shots using the same sight picture without knowing any ballistics. (bullet/arrow drop taking into account speed/fps and BC)
They are lazy dipsticks that give hunters a bad rap.
Oh hell yes, things happen, spooked game, string jumped deer, ect. We have those, but not to be familiar with your projectile's trajectory unacceptable.

stevemb

Hunter
Skills are being replaced with gadgets. More people hunt outta trees. More hunt over baits. More scout by cam. More need widgits to help them find what they shot at. I quit bowhunting in Ohio when they allowed crossbows and the woods filled up with people that just really wanted to hunt in nicer weather. When the last of my tree stands was stolen, sold all my archery gear for a .54 Lymans Great Plains rifle. Have killed some deer with it. We are becoming a nation of weekenders and desk weasels. Sad..

Robes

Single-Sixer
@#[email protected]!$^@^%&%$&$..... found another one today. A nice spike. These imbeciles have no idea what a kill shot looks like. "My personal opinion".... and I say that with quotes,.... if you "hunt" from a tree stand,... or over a bait pile, or in a camo tent blind....that ain't hunting. That's bush-wacking. Lazy sit on your ass, freeze your butt off bush-wacking. Hunting involves moving and tracking.

We are becoming a nation of weekenders and desk weasels. Sad..
Amen brother...

volshooter

Buckeye
Woah, I really love to stalk but it is not always possible with the massive amount of fallen leaves in my area. There is no one that could creep up on game, trying to sneak through 6 inches of dry leaves.
My area, as I suspect most, have hardwoods and a 12 foot canopy of young trees. Rifle hunting off the ground is great since the underbrush is bare. Bow season it is stupid. Our bow season starts in Sept. Still to much under growth to see, much less get a shot. A tree stand puts you above the canopy as well as helping with sighting coming game.
What the frig is wrong with shooting from an elevated vantage point??????
Has that not been used is every war, "high ground"?
Is a blind, be it camo or a downed tree wrong to use????
I'm sorry, this is so wrong. What do you want, cut and make your own hickory bow, or perhaps knap you own arrow heads. Better yet hunt with a spear.
My hunting is done 50% off the ground and the rest from a tree stand. Just what is it that makes tree stands and blinds unacceptable?
Splain it to me Lucy.

wolfsong

Staff member
Robes said:
@#[email protected]!$^@^%&%$&$..... found another one today. A nice spike. These imbeciles have no idea what a kill shot looks like. "My personal opinion".... and I say that with quotes,.... if you "hunt" from a tree stand,... or over a bait pile, or in a camo tent blind....that ain't hunting. That's bush-wacking. Lazy sit on your ass, freeze your butt off bush-wacking. Hunting involves moving and tracking.

We are becoming a nation of weekenders and desk weasels. Sad..
Amen brother...
Obviously, you haven't hunted the western Sierra Nevada.

There's a time and place for everything, although we Californians don't hunt over bait.

volshooter

Buckeye
I have not. I reckon you might be talking about the way I have seen folks hunt on the tube. They take to high ground and glass. After sighting, they use terrain to get close enough for a shot.
Baiting is illegal in TN.