Chamfering cases.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bcr

Bearcat
Picked up my first Ruger rifle this morning, the 77 Hawkeye in 35 Whelen. Yay!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've only reloaded handgun cartridges. A note that came with my brass from Midway said that the brass needs to be chamfered inside and outside the mouth. Is that true for all rifle cartridges? I've never done that before. Does it have to be done every loading or just before the first loading?

Thanks!

bcr

Bearcat
Thanks, this is good to know.

Is that tool used with the case trimmer? I don't have a case trimmer yet, but I'm planning on getting the Forster.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
bcr":3cft29z2 said:
Thanks, this is good to know.

Is that tool used with the case trimmer? I don't have a case trimmer yet, but I'm planning on getting the Forster.

No. Well, actually I don't know. They MIGHT make case chamfering tools that are to be used with case trimmers. But the ones I have are just hand held and cost somewhere's between 5 and 10 bucks apiece. There's not much to them. I personally prefer the ones made by RCBS, but I have one called a "cricket" that works well too. I'm not sure who made it.
As far as case trimmers go, everyone has their preferences. I have both a Forster and a Hornady. I guess I prefer the Hornady because it takes regular shell holders, but I got by just fine with the Forster for 20 years before I got the Hornady. :)

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
One more thing bcr - I get the feeling you're making a bigger deal out of chamfering and deburring bottle-necked cartridge cases than need be. All it takes is a couple of quick twists of your wrist with either the tool that twobisquit linked to above, or with my prefered RCBS tool. The fact is, if someone DOES build a chamfering/deburring tool for a case trimmer, it would take you longer to chuck the case up in the trimmer than it would to chamfer and deburr it with a hand-held tool. Really. :)
Chamfering and deburring is just not that big of a deal - you'll see.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
bcr":3108wlfd said:
mouth. Is that true for all rifle cartridges? I've never done that before. Does it have to be done every loading or just before the first loading?

Hi,

Everybody's got their own drill on "prepping" cases, some a bit more, some less, elaborate. (Kinda depends on what you're gonna do w/ 'em next: a bench rester will get more good from the extra steps than a fellow loading "minute of Bambi" loads for a 75 yr old Win 94 that's been shot so much you can see light thru it from four different directions! Ok, SLIGHT exaggeration. Maybe...)

Anyway, I think ALL rifle ammo should be full length sized, trimmed, and chamfered before loading. If you buy primed brass, you'll need to neck size only before the first load, and leave the trimming until after it's been fired once.

This part of the drill's pretty standard regardless of your intended use. From there, you may wish to use a primer pocket tool to clean and "even" the primer pocket, as well as a flash hole deburring tool. The primer pocket tool's a good thing to use before repriming as there can be a buildup of residue in the pocket, and you'll generally get more uniform primer seating. The flash hole deburring is something a lot of us don't do, but those who do attest to its effectiveness in making their ammo more consistent.

As already mentioned, don't make too big a deal of chamfering, and cleaning primer pockets and deburring flash holes aren't tough jobs, either. Not that I'd ever recommend such practice, but a lot of this stuff is "keep your hands busy while you watch TV" stuff once you've learned what needs to be done.

Once that's all been done the first time, you won't have to repeat the flash hole deburring at all. The primer pockets should be cleaned every time or two you load the case. Chamfering doesn't need to be done again until the next time you trim the brass. Brass needs to be trimmed once it reaches max length: that's determined by measuring it after each firing (they sell simple go-no go type tools to make short work of it if you don't want to use your caliper.) It's not practical to suggest how often you'll need to trim, as your chamber and load combo will determine how much stretching of the brass is going on in there. Some of my brass needs trimming after about three firings, that shot in another rifle may go six or seven...

There's always more to learn and do, but that'll get you going for a while!

Rick C

bcr

Bearcat
Rick and everybody else,

This is excellent help. Thanks a lot!

bcr