cci mini mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roca7

Bearcat
was just wondering if it is necessary to clean off the excess wax with something like hornady one shot case lube cleaner before using in a mk111? i fired around 1000 rds today in my new mk111 competition and 512, but i had sprayed all of them with hornady first to remove some of the wax. didn't have one problem. i did this because i made the mistake of buying a sig mosquito first(piece of junk) and it seem's like everyone who own's one use's this procedure in order for them to feed?
if you don't, do you have any problem with wax build up or feeding and jamming?
i also tried some federal bulk 550 36gr that seemed decent, winn 333 ok, but dirty, and some federal auto match 40 gr solid that was crap with a lot of light puff's.
appreciate any info.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
The 1st 100 rounds thru my brand new MkIII 2245 were the mini-mags this Tuesday, without cleaning them up. no problems.

Jasperharley

Bearcat
Dont have a MK3, have the MK2, but at my range they only sell minimag for rented guns (MK1,2,3) and I use it almost exclusively for my Mk2. Never had any issues what so ever (coming up on 5K rounds through). No jams, no stovepipes.

Clean my gun completely after each firing though, so not much time for buildup.

I would try not cleaning the rounds and see what happens. Worst case you will need to give the gun a good cleaning, but that is half the fun!

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
We've put thousands of rounds of CCI mini-mags through my wife's Bersa Firestorm 22. I didn't even know they had wax on them. No problems with the ammo at all. As a matter of fact it's the only ammo that will run in that gun, 100%.

rosie

Bearcat
I may not be seeing things others are, but I cannot for the life of me, find ANY wax on CCI mini mags and have never had ANY problems either on a Ruger or Beretta 22. Based on advice from people I consider to be first class when it comes to all aspects of gunsmithing etc, the CCI mini mags are top notch in the less than very expensive competitive target shooting ammo category.

roca7

Bearcat
thanks for the info. i haven't shot a .22 since the day's when you could walk into a hardware store and buy the ammo there, mid 60's.
i think my problem is that a few week's ago i picked up a sig mosquito to just practice with, and started reading all the post on the mosquito site, and since the gun is of poor quality everyone is trying to figure out how to make them work. i own a lot of sig's(pre sigarms when quality mattered), H&K's,Glocks, and AR's. someone gave me a mk1 the same day i got the sig, so i knew nothing about ruger's. i was just going by what i read on the mosquito forum, which thank goodness dosen't apply here.
i really couldn't figure out either why you had to do anything to above average ammo to make it work, but getting sucked in i just went along with what i read. sorry for my stupidity, lack of knowledge.
now three week's later, two mk111's, one mk1, and looking to trade in the sig. went through around a 1000 rds yesterday and was having so much fun i really had to force my self to leave. this is all i wanted to begin with, just to have some cheap fun.
out of the three the mk1 has the best trigger pull, and all three are rather amazing with accuracy. i have been reading as much as i can about ruger mk1-11-111, and everyone has their opinion. mine is that what i have function properly so far, and until they don't i won't change a thing, except a set of grip's for one and a scope(maybe)for the other. as for the field stripping, wether it need's it or not, their going to get it each time used, and they aren't that difficult to dissasemble/reassemble if you follow instruction's. lot of good one's on this forum. my mk1 sat around for 25 yrs, and after three cleaning's no more mallet or plastic punch. (didn't meen to offend anyone)

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I have had some .17HMRs that were not waxy, but dirty. I cleaned each round with a rag before putting them in the magazine of my rifle.

Wobble

Bearcat
I too have never noticed any wax on MiniMags and have been shooting them in my MKIII with zero problems. Not sure why they would have wax on them anyway.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I used to think that Mini-Mags didn't have wax on them, either, until I took a GOOD look at them with a loupe. Yep, they're waxed. :shock: It's thin and it's hard but it's there.

Latest posts