Can you use a Blackhawk in Cowboy action shooting.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
SBH4628":16e1xff0 said:
I just want the link how Jim is getting Two NM Blackhawks for $500.00 bucks :D
Oh hell, they're EVERYWHERE at that price amigo! Haven't you seen them? :wink: Notice too, that by his own admission, just the guns at "those" prices total $1,050 without a trip to Tractor Supply! :shock:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin":232lo19n said:
You have absolutely NO grasp of the economy some families are struggling with out here in the real world...
Can't say I'm surprised by this reaction. This is exactly why some folks will never do any better than they do. I also don't think anybody who owns a bass boat can do much complainin'. :roll:

Do ya smoke Dennis? Do ya drink a case of beer every weekend?

spruce98lx

Bearcat
Wow fellas, didn't mean to open such a big can. Thanks for all the replies and stimulating conversation. Having been into guns my whole life, I know how expensive stuff is. All hobbies are expensive. I won't mind saving and spending for CAS if it is something that I become passionate about. For me that will be part of the fun. It would be financially irresponsible to go out and spend potentially thousands of dollars on something new and then find out that it was not for me. I guess, I could sell all my guns I have now to fund the venture. But again, I risk a lot of regret if in haste I jump in with both feet. I do appreciate the tips on how to proceed in thrift. That is how I'll proceed for the time being.

Rclark

Hunter
To bad there aren't 'events' that would use only one revolver. Or one rifle. That way people could get their feet wet so to speak without a lot of expense. Having to own 'two' revolvers and one rifle and one shotgun just to start seems excessive except for the affluent who can jump in with both feet and not be tweaked in the back pocket. :) . I must admit though, it is cheaper than buying a four wheeler, or a snow machine, boat, etc..... And you can always sell the guns and get your money back if it loses it's appeal ... for the most part... But still most people do have more than 'one' hobby or sport they enjoy..... For example, I have three main ones : R/C aircraft, High Power Rocketry, and shooting....

who come to CAS expecting strict historical accuracy are inevitably disappointed.
Yes, I noticed that. Where is the boom of a fully loaded .45 or .44-40 for example? On U-tube it sounds like -- pip pop pip pop ping...... Hardly any muzzle rise in rifle or revolver. .38s? :roll: .Might as well allow .22s and be done with it. Maybe even .22 shorts as .22LR might be too 'snappy' for some of these guys/gals.... So yeah I noticed :) . All in the name of being 'competitive'.... Kind'a soured me a bit on action shooting.... :eek: . I truthfully was expecting something different. BTW, not knocking the 'skill' necessary to hit all the targets quickly... that takes practice... lots of it! Just the historical aspect of it!

SBH4628":1skmvezx said:

Well I guess ya don't spend much time on the auction sites do ya?
Nice OM 3 screws go for $300-375. Last year I sold 2 nice 45 Blackhawk convertibles on this site for $375 shipped each. ACP Cly. is worth Around $75-100 so that made them $275 ish. Have sold several OM to CAS guys at 300-400.
So you can get beater Blks for around $250-300.
Hell I just got a OM Super for $325. two buckeyes for $325 ea, 45 OM new in the box convertible for $425.
Do I need to go on?
Jim

AKGrouch

Bearcat
Wyandot Jim":3eb17tpn said:
SBH4628":3eb17tpn said:

Well I guess ya don't spend much time on the auction sites do ya?
Nice OM 3 screws go for $300-375. Last year I sold 2 nice 45 Blackhawk convertibles on this site for $375 shipped each. ACP Cly. is worth Around $75-100 so that made them $275 ish. Have sold several OM to CAS guys at 300-400.
So you can get beater Blks for around $250-300.
Hell I just got a OM Super for $325. two buckeyes for $325 ea, 45 OM new in the box convertible for $425.
Do I need to go on?
Jim

Ijust bought a NMBH shooter in .45Colt for $275 at a gun show. As for most of this thread....nothing like a urination festival to get folks going.......lol

Bucks Owin":2tgvkgm4 said:
Wyandot Jim":2tgvkgm4 said:
Tx gun runner":2tgvkgm4 said:
Most clubs on the monthly shoots you need not to be a CAS or SASS member . My club is 60 mile away and charges $15 for the match . You need normal 25 shotgun rds and about 150 pistol and rifle rds total . If you can't afford that once a month you cant afford the guns you are shooting . If you are not a reloader and on a fixed income you are missing the boat .

Good on you TGR.
I was not a SASS member for about 5 years. We charge $10 a match.
Shot again today with the ROAs.
It just amazes me all the BS that you here about this SHOOTING sport.
Here is what ya need to get started.
Two used 357 NM Blackhawks $500
One 357 Marlin Carbine $300
One Stoger SxS new $300 used $200
Holsters from Mexico $50.
Clothes ya probably already have them.
Now if this seems like tooooooooooooooooo much. How many times do you go out to eat per month or lunch at work?
It just depends how bad ya want to do something.
Can you put in OT at work?
I didn't get where I am by saying I can't do that or I can't afford that. My question was?????? What does it take for me to do it?
I worked at a part time job after work to take flying lessons. This was when I was 22. Bought my first plane at 24. Rebuit it and sold it and made a profit. Have been doing that for 40 years. How bad do you want it??? Sitting in front of the TV on your Arsh doesn't quite cut it. So ya can do whatever ya want. If ya want it bad enough.
So BULL CRAP.
Don't even get me started on building my own 3400sq.ft. house on a runway. Ya I built it.
Jim
Gee, I'm proud of you pal! Hope something "unexpected" doesn't happen to ya like a back injury that costs you your 3400 sq ft home and puts you on the monthly pittance called SDI...Now, why don't you fly away to a CAS match? (And the horse you rode in on!) Hmmmm? You have absolutely NO grasp of the economy some families are struggling with out here in the real world... :twisted: Oh and BTW, if I was you, I'd grab a pair of BH's for $500. You could turn a nice profit to buy av gas with!!! :roll:

Well PALEY.
Here is from your PROFILE Occupation: professional driver
Interests: firearms collecting, reloading, shooting, drag racing, model railroading, wolfdogs, pedal steel and other guitars....

Number one I DID NOT DIRECT THIS POST TO YOU. IF THE SHOE FITS PUT IT ON. Sounds to me like you have some expensive hobbies already.
At the start of this pissing contest . I said it is priorities and what you want to do. Do you think you have anything worth $1500? If so YOU CAN afford it but you choose not to.

SORRY I CHOOSE TO

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
You can get a pair of 1858 Remy super cheap . I shot them in SASS match for a year till some talked me out of them . I even won a couple of matches with them against cartridge guns .

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Where is the boom of a fully loaded .45 or .44-40 for example? On U-tube it sounds like -- pip pop pip pop ping...... Hardly any muzzle rise in rifle or revolver. .38s? Rolling Eyes .Might as well allow .22s and be done with it.

As somebody has already said, stop watching it on TV and come watch a real match. I shoot 45 Colt in my pistols, 250 grain bullets in front of a case full of FFg Black Powder. And my rifles are all 44-40, 200 grain bullets in front of a case full of FFg Black Powder. Nothing but FFg in my shotgun too. You don't get much more boom and muzzle rise than that. Plenty of folks shoot something other than mouse fart loads. As a matter of fact, I was instrumental in the 'Smoke Standard' required for shooting Black Powder. If it don't make enough smoke to obscure the targets, it ain't legal. No, there is no way I am going to beat somebody shooting light 38s, but heck, the top guys would still beat me anyhow if they were shooting my guns. But that's why we have separate categories. I usually compete in the Frontier Cartridge Duelist category, which means I ain't competing against guys with Smokeless mousefart loads anyway. You want to see what CAS is really like, stop watching it on U tube or TV. They only show the highlights of the really fast shooters there, they don't show the average shooters.

As far as having just one pistol, that is the way CAS started back in the 80s. But it soon became obvious that it was much more fun to shoot two pistols than just one. Same with the shotgun and rifle. You are only up at the firing line for a very short time. Just firing one pistol don't cut it. Two pistols, a rifle and a shotgun makes for a much more interesting outing. Even so, you are only shooting about a minute at each stage.

The club I started at about ten years ago used to just use one pistol. It was great for beginners who did not yet have all the guns they needed. I started out with just one Vaquero, an old Stevens 311 that I had owned for many years, and an old Marlin Model 1894 that I had also owned for many years. So for me it was easy, I only needed the Vaquero to start. In fact, I already owned a Blackhawk that I had owned since 1975 and I could have started with that if I had wanted too. Getting my second Vaquero only took a little bit of time. The club I started at eventually went to a two pistol format just like everyplace else, just because shooting two pistols is so much more fun than just one. A couple of years ago they tried going back to the good old days and had a match that just required one pistol. I had to admit I had gotten used to shooting two pistols, and just one pistol was not enough.

But like somebody else said, CAS is one of the only sports you can show up to and somebody will lend you the stuff you don't have. If you just have one pistol, just show up and somebody will lend you another. Can you say that about IPSIC or Trap shooting or Skeet?

Anyhoo, if you want to try it, stop with the excuses and just try it.

Hey TGR and DJ
Yep the ROAs make a pretty good BOOM even with 25 Grs. of FFF :wink:
I forgot about the cap and ball guns. I shot them this weekend :oops:
So now the price comes down a weeeeeeeeeee bit
Ya don't even need to reload buy bullets or get a CAS guy to reload for your rifle and buy the shot gun shells. :D 60 bullets and 25 shells a match
Get ya a POS SXS $100 beat up lever gun and a couple C&B and your on your way :roll: Since there are so few C&B shooters you will be a winner from the start.
Jim

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I just got this one thurday , low s/n

Picture1437.jpg

pix151506812.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok y'all FIRST,, let's be nice!!!!!!
We have a poster who asked a serious question and this has gone a bit of a different direction.
To answer the original post,, yes,, a Blackhawk can be used w/o any issues.
Getting into SASS is like any other hobby/sport out there. You can get in on the cheap, or spend a war pension.
I think that's the main points being "discussed" here. Jim has been trying to point out that it's a matter of priorities & what you are willing to do to get involved. Others are mentioning it's too expensive.
THERE ARE WAYS TO GET INTO IT CHEAPLY!!!
If you are new to shooting, don't own any guns, don't reload, raised in a city, wear suits & a tie as casual wear, don't know what boots are,, and the last cowboy hat you owned was a Christmas gift when you were 5 years old,, then you ARE gonna spend SOME money.
How MUCH you spend,, and HOW you BUDGET it,, will determine the cost to be involved.
As noted above,, you can shop at thrift stores & buy older styled clothes that "fit in" very cheaply. I did when I started,, by spending a total of $6 for 2 shirts & a set of suspenders at "goodwill." I already had boots & a hat,, so I was able to wear jeans,, ( the were designed in the mid 1800's) so no problem. I have seen PLENTY of folks shoot matches with the bare minimum of legal SASS attire.
Gun carts can be built from scrap material & stuff scrounged up easily enough. Again,, I speak from experience.
Guns & ammo; The most expensive part of the required things needed. As noted,, judicious shopping can reveal good deals on used but not abused guns,, and especially guns not made by Ruger or Colt. As noted,, you can go to matches,, and other cowboys there will loan you guns to use. Again,, I know from my direct experience. Ammo,, yes,, reloading is THE way to go,, but if we shoot any amount,, most of us already do that. If not,, you CAN make friends at any local match with someone who HAS reloading equipment & will let you use it when you need to. You just buy the components.
It may take time to locate a good deal on the guns you need,, and if, as mentioned,, you are on a srtict fixed income,, then it may take you longer to save up the necessary $$ to purchase a needed firearm,, be it a second pistol, the rifle, or a shotgun. Again, patience & careful shopping around will yield good results.
Finding a club; Easy enough by getting on the SASS website & looking around. In fact,, in some areas,, there are several close enough to where you might be able to enjoy more than one club. Other places it may be a bit of a distance,, and cost more to join, shoot, or just plain drive it. Again,, if a tight budget is a limiting factor,, discuss carpooling, talk to club officials about a discount, (some clubs have disabled, or veteran discount rates, etc.)

I guess what I'm getting at is that even on a VERY tight budget,, if you have the desires,, it IS a possbility. Maybe NOT the same as some folks who can afford a $500 custom holster rig,, or $1500 custom tuned SA's,, or whatever.

BUT we do NOT need to be in a pizzen contest about things.
Jim made a strong argument about those who actually WANT something WILL find a way to do it.
I believe a few others made EXCELLENT points about tight budgets, & the costs related to SASS. But as someone who has PERSONALLY spoken with SASS member #1,, Judge Roy Bean along with several of the Founders,,, they developed the "game" to where it CAN be enjoyed by most folks,, even on tight budgets.
That's not to say that a FEW clubs & their leaders & organizers don't push things a bit harsher than SASS wants. If that's the case,, then a different club is the best thing to look for.

BTW; I'm a cheapskate when it come to a lot of purchases not directly related to Rugers. When I joined SASs, I only had Ruger SA's and I had to find a rifle & a shotgun. Well, for several matches,, I had to borrow guns, some gear etc. But,, I put together my gunbelt, (Hunter plain jane,) A Norinco 97 copy with a broken stock, at first a Marlin 44 mag rifle, all over a 18 month period. I upgraded when I could,, and still only have one pair of pants that are "period correct" thanks to a Christmas present. MY shirts are up to 4 different ones. My hat is the same one I've had for years. My boots are the ones I had before SASS. Most of my gun cart is from scrap. I reload,, so I'm as cheap as you can get.
I already had Ruger SA's so my guns, (shotgun & rifle) cost me a total of $450. It can be done,, but again,, lets tone down the pizzen comments. We are all shooters around here.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm just wondering who that would be interested in CAS would NOT already have a couple sixguns and a pistol cartridge levergun??? :wink:

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
CraigC":las0on0m said:
I'm just wondering who that would be interested in CAS would NOT already have a couple sixguns and a pistol cartridge levergun??? :wink:
Me, but working on it.

Other post I screwed up , could have bought Rossi hammer gun for $175, hesitated & got sold.Just got my 45 lever for $300. Found my 357 blk. hawk.$250. I have a 16 ga. parker sxs , non ejector.Can this be used? So, it can be done slowly, with being on a tight budget.Still could use a beater 45.
Wyandot Jim, pm when you find deals on hammer gun or 45 sa.

Follow up question for the sass guys:I have a 16 ga. parker sxs , non ejector.Can this be used?

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
I have a 16 ga. parker sxs , non ejector.Can this be used?

Howdy

Yes, as long as it does not have ejectors that automatically throw the shells out of the gun. Extractors are fine, and desireable, just no ejectors. My first CAS shotgun was a 16 gauge Stevens 311. The only problem with 16 gauge is it is difficult to find components for reloading your own ammo.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I have been a member here for a couple of years. This topic, in one form or another, has come up several times.

First let me say that Contender is spot on with his plea.

Then let me say that the local club here has a weekly shoot, Wednesday night I think, where you can wear street clothes and I think the caliber restrictions are lifted. This, of course, is done to try and get more folks
interested. I suspect that a lot of people who are hesitant to try it, or use this or that excuse, would jump on board after a session or two like that.

Finally let me say that I am not a member and likely will not join. I honestly find the whole costume thing silly and will not participate in it. I know, my loss. But I bet that deep down that is the underlying current in most of the disagreement going on here. Those that like the costumes and those that don't.

contender

Ruger Guru
Toyhunt; Yes,, your 16 ga is fine,, as noted above.

Cracker hit upon something I forgot,, the fact that SOME of the folks in SASS do get all into the costume thing to the point of being anal about it.
GOOD clubs do NOT care if you CHOOSE to not get so deep into it.
However,, I'm privilaged to know a few famous ladies in SASS that do a lot of SERIOUS costuming. They LOVE it,, and I look at it like this; Anytime we can get ladies interested in the shooting sports,, we ALL benefit.
Remember,, "if momma isn't happy, aint nobody happy." So,, while costuming is a big part of it for many folks,, to others,, it's the shooting part. Look at the serious shooters & their costumes. They are not elaborate,, in fact some are quite plain. They don't want a bunch of clothes or "extras" to slow them down. NOBODY gives them grief because the shoot good & fast!

To address another point,, anyone interested in CAS,, should already have a pair of sixguns & a lever rifle.
Not necessarily true!
When I started,, I did not have a levergun nor a shotgun I could use. I DID have a few pairs of sixguns I could use,, because I had been gathering Rugers for years before I got an introduction. But,,,,,,, a LOT of folks have an interest,, and don't even own a SINGLE firearm. Most of us who do already enjoy firearms,, and old westerns tend to own 1 or 2,, but not everybody. So,, while it may SEEM obvious,, it's not necessarily true. Besides,, I've heard a BUNCH of stories about how the husband had an interest,, got into it a bit,, got excited,, took his wife,, and she got excited. Suddenly,, they were in serious need of 2 sets of firearms for SASS.
Again,, I want to stress, be polite,, and realize we all enjoy shooting,, and if you are on a very tight budget,, there are MANY ways to still be able to participate,, just not as easily or quickly as a few others who decide to get into it.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
CraigC":led1578i said:
Bucks Owin":led1578i said:
You have absolutely NO grasp of the economy some families are struggling with out here in the real world...
Can't say I'm surprised by this reaction. This is exactly why some folks will never do any better than they do. I also don't think anybody who owns a bass boat can do much complainin'. :roll:

Do ya smoke Dennis? Do ya drink a case of beer every weekend?
Here's the bass boat. Trying to quit smoking, besides the health issue, even the "no name" is too expensive, so I mostly buy 2 pouches of Beechnut to last me the month. Have a glass of wine every evening. Any other brilliant conclusions you need cleared up?
3a63.jpg