Can Ruger SR- 22 be dry-fired without damage the firing pin?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevenf

Bearcat
Ruger SR-22 instruction manual said" this gun can be dryfire without damage to the firing pin or other components as long as the magazine is inserted, but didn't explain why it can be,
I searched google and get an answer " the SR 22 pistol has a transfer bar which protects the firing pin from damage if you dry fire the , " but I couldn't find this part on SR_22 parts list, I still don't know if I really can dry fire a lot every day to practice .

stevenf

Bearcat
Right now I am using a snap caps or screw anchors when I dry fire the SR-22, but I think Ruger let his customer to dry fire, should has a positive reason, just we don't know that.
yes, I think maybe I only can occasionally dry fire it to test the function, not mean I can dryfire it on my regular basis, thanks.

Last edited:

wagwan

Bearcat
Well, I read the manual and dry fired the SR-22 that I used to own. Pretty soon it stopped feeding properly due to a burr on the edge of the chamber. It was caused by, you guessed it, the firing pin hitting the chamber. Once the burr was ironed out it worked fine again.

On a properly tuned rimfire, the firing pin should stop just a hair short of hitting the chamber edge. Obviously that wasn't the case with mine. So there ya go: the manual vs personal experience.

Guess we are still old fashioned and would tell folks NOT to dry fire any rimfire and just for that exact reason, being we used to do work for High Standard back n the old days, that was a cardinal sin against a 22 rimfire firearm,,, does just that, caused a 'divot' in the chamber mouth yes , I swaged out many of them over the years going back to our working on Commercial row for HS at Camp Perry, as well as our shop was warranty repair for High Standard when they moved from Hamden to East Hartford. used to be when Ruger referred to "dry fire" of their guns it was meant in the case of lowering the hammer to take the pressure off the mainspring, so it was OK to lower the hammer ,thus "dry fire"........college kids writing technical manuals under the direction of 'legal' department ( you're welcome Mr Sannetti...sic) :cool: :rolleyes:;)

stevenf

Bearcat
I think Ruger should answer this question , it is a black/white question, because if actually SR-22's firing pin still can be damaged after too much dry fire , I believe there were a lot of customers who already required Ruger to repair , Ruger should correct the instruction manual instruction, I also heard not only SR-22 can be dry-fire , but also other ,22 pistol is , but I don't know which one is.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Ruger seems to have answered the question. Page 18 of the manual as you indicated above ,,,,, they say dry firing will not damage the pistol.

For DECADES many of us were taught to never dry fire a 22LR. Times change. Technology changes.

You really should CALL Ruger if that would put your mind at ease. They're super easy to deal with.

stevenf

Bearcat
Today I searched Ruger web, got two answers ,

1) Can I dry fire my Mark III™ pistol?

Yes. The Mark III™ has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.
From above answer, I believe that Ruger does not recommend dry fire the pistol extensively, just up to customer .

2) Can I dry fire my Ruger® pistol?
Yes. All Ruger® pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!
question: I only can find a part called " firing pin blocker "
in part list, is it just same part as " #44 firing pin stop " ?
thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I can't think of a single good reason for 'dry firing' anything - rimfire or centerfire."

Gunny,, many serious handgun competitors actually do a LOT of dry-fire practice. In USPSA they promote it among the top shooters as a way of developing skills. In USPSA ,, there is the speed draw & presentation, followed by pulling the trigger.

BUT,,, The smart once will use a snap cap to avoid the potential damage to their expensive guns.

stevenf

Bearcat
I can't think of a single good reason for 'dry firing' anything - rimfire or centerfire. If you're too poor or too cheap to spend a few bucks on ammo, then you've got a different problem.
no, you don't understand . It's not that I can't afford on ammo. I like playing with guns at home but I can't load ammo. that's not safe. I can't go to the shooting range every day as well .