Bushing wrench needed for SR1911CMD takedown??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Curio Bill

Bearcat
Forgive my ignorance, but I have never owned/touched a smaller size 1911 & I do NOT want a gun that requires tools to disassemble (just a personal pet peeve). So.....Does a commander sized SR 1911CMD require a barrel bushing for disassembly? Can it be easily disassembled without the wrench? Thanks, Bill

modrifle3

Buckeye
If the bushing is tight, just put a bit of rearward pressure on the slide and it will come slightly out of battery taking pressure off the bushing.

revhigh

Hawkeye
modrifle3 said:
If the bushing is tight, just put a bit of rearward pressure on the slide and it will come slightly out of battery taking pressure off the bushing.

Correct ... Good tip.

Some 1911's can be 'stiff' until they're lubed and dis/re assembled a few times.

Normally you shouldn't need a wrench.

REV

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
Only time I ever used a bushing wrench was on a Springfield Loaded I used to have. Never needed a wrench on my Ruger's or Colt's. Just had to remember to catch the Recoil Spring Plug or it would fly out to Never Never Land.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
No wrench needed on mine...

I do NOT want a gun that requires tools to disassemble
, Browning designed the 1911 so that it can be completely disassembled with no tools whatsoever. A .45 cartridge is the only add'l "tool" needed and that only to remove the grip screws...all this applies to a military 1911...can't be sure of the civilian models.

I've launched my recoil spring plug across the room several times over the years, but Browning even planned for that eventually, by making it the same dia. as a spent .45 ACP cartridge case...yep...they're interchangeable in function!!

Best Regards, Rod

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Curio Bill said:
I do NOT want a gun that requires tools to disassemble
I've seen two 1911s that required a wrench to remove the bushing. BOTH (one Ruger and one from another manufacturer) had been assembled DRY. Both, once disassembled, cleaned and OILED properly, were no longer a problem.

Snake45

Hawkeye
modrifle3 said:
And you can stick something like a pencil in the ejection port to "hold" the pressure. :wink:

Of course this won't work if your gun has FLGR. :?

dakota1911

Buckeye
I don't use one, but I could see a lady who did not want to break a nail might want to use it.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
It appears I disassemble 1911s differently from others here. I lock the slide back, which relieves all contact between barrel and bushing, and remove the bushing. I then release the slide lock, remove the slide stop, slip the slide off the frame, then remove spring and barrel from the frame.

I've always done it this way and can't imagine any other way of doing it. It's so easy I never figured out why the bushing wrench had been invented. Different strokes, I guess . . .

Snake45

Hawkeye
dlidster said:
It appears I disassemble 1911s differently from others here. I lock the slide back, which relieves all contact between barrel and bushing, and remove the bushing. I then release the slide lock, remove the slide stop, slip the slide off the frame, then remove spring and barrel from the frame.

I've always done it this way and can't imagine any other way of doing it. It's so easy I never figured out why the bushing wrench had been invented. Different strokes, I guess . . .
Boy, I'll bet you can launch the spring plug clear across the yard (or halfway through a sheetrock wall) if you lose control of it that way! :shock: :wink:

modrifle3

Buckeye
WOW . . . that is the safety shield method!!! All jokes aside isn't the plug and spring a bit wild coming out the end of the slide.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
WOW . . . that is the safety shield method!!! All jokes aside isn't the plug and spring a bit wild coming out the end of the slide.
I'm going to be 71 this spring. I've been taking all sorts of guns apart and putting them back together since I was 12 or 13. I've never launched a 1911 spring.

To be perfectly honest, I never thought about disassembling a 1911 any other way till I read this post. So, I tried it without locking the slide back. I didn't see any advantage. (The plug and spring didn't seem any less scary, but they never have.) And, it kind of broke a routine I can do in my sleep.

FWIW, I've never put an "idiot mark" on a 1911, either. Maybe it's just clean living paying off.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
I'm feeling very foolish and embarrassed about putting my mouth (or, typing fingers) in gear before engaging my brain. I don't break down a 1911 with the slide locked back. I rack the slide to cock the hammer, engage the safety to secure the slide in place, and proceed from there.

Somehow, when picturing the operation in my mind, I confused myself with the racking and locking the slide in place with the safety. I'm sorry if I misled anyone and alarmed others.

I never have used a bushing wrench. I guess I've never handled a 1991 so tight it would require one. If I did, I think I'd release the safety so I could push the slide back enough to release the contact between barrel and bushing.

And, again, I never have launched a spring. But, as was pointed out to me, if I did with the slide locked back, I'm certain it would go into orbit.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Ok....man I was wondering and thinking how does he do . Thanks for clearing it up. Those tight bushing usually loosen a bit. My R1 was that way new. Now I can remove it in a normal method. The Sr was never that tight. Neither was the Range Officer.

Snake45

Hawkeye
dlidster said:
And, again, I never have launched a spring. But, as was pointed out to me, if I did with the slide locked back, I'm certain it would go into orbit.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ra

Single-Sixer
I have a Les Baer and a Ruger 1911 with a EGW bushing and you have to use a wrench with both. I have never understood the dislike for a tight bushing.
If taking down a 1911 without a wrench is a 1 on the scale of 1-10, then using a wrench is a 2. Taking it apart is about the same, the wrench depresses the recoil plug, turn wrench and catch spring. On reassembling it is a little harder compressing the spring and recoil plug with the wrench, but after a few times it becomes easier.

Roger

modrifle3

Buckeye
I think it should be tight when in battery. That is the only way to insure the barrel position doesn't change.