Broken striker

Help Support Ruger Forum:

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
I'm about to call Ruger about this, but was curious as to if anyone else has had this problem.

Just under 1,000 rounds through her. Heard a weird noise at the range... like shooting steels (I was shooting paper at an indoor range).

Got home, cleaned it. Upon getting everything all spiffied up and put back together, the trigger didn't reset when I tried to dry-fire the pistol.

Pulled the slide back off... and the striker tab was broken off!

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
sr40.

I called up customer service, went and picked up a new striker and it was fixed up in less than an hour.

It's pretty nice living in the same town as the mothership.

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
The technician that took it from me looked at it and seemed quite confused. He said "so you weren't kidding, the rudder broke right off, didn't it?".

Apparently the little tabby thingy is called a rudder.

I in NO way doubt that this was a once-in-a-million fluke type of event. The striker didn't show any sort of deformation other than the break, which was a clean, squared off shear surface. This doesn't generally happen with metals, they tend to break at an angle when you break them in tension.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
that EXACT same thing happened to mine...
i mailed it back and they mailed me a new one....
mine wasn't stainless, had black coating/paint on it....

i thought the stainless looking ones were new and didnt have this problem, looks like they do too...

i dont think its a one in a million fluke.. i heard reports of about 5 other guys on the net were this happened to them.... so i assume there are more that i haven't heard about
(mine was an earlier SR9)

go figure, at least they got that warranty...

side question, you using a Ghost trigger bar?

EdgeSR9

Bearcat
Same thing happened to me recently.Ruger wanted me to ship the whole pistol to them for inspection.I just ordered a new one off their site.I thought I had the one in a million striker problem,guess not.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
interesting, i had the ultimate as well...
after i put the new striker in, the bar didnt fit properly....
i am debating fitting in there again, but i have the original trigger bar installed now (has been for a few months)

figured i would just wait till galloway gets his done...

any chance that ghost kit had contributed to the broken striker? i dont see how that is physically possible... but i left it out anyway

Grendel

Single-Sixer
welder said:
I saw one of these posted with pics about a year ago but it was from an SR9. WishI had booked marked it.

That post was probably mine. Got a new striker from Ruger and sent the busted one back. They were supposed to contact me about any findings from their analysis, but heard nada. Haven't had a problem w/ the striker since.

-JT

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Boge said:
Maybe there is a connection between this & the Ghost ring trigger bar(?). :?

Mine broke way before I ever installed my Ghost Rocket. I was in the middle of a dryfire session when mine busted.

-JT

Boge

Single-Sixer
Grendel said:
Boge said:
Maybe there is a connection between this & the Ghost ring trigger bar(?). :?

Mine broke way before I ever installed my Ghost Rocket. I was in the middle of a dryfire session when mine busted.

-JT

Ya know, the more I see the more I think that dry firing w/o snap caps is bad. I have seen SIGs where the roll pins broke and two Glocks where the entire breechface (a circular spot) broke away from constant dry firing. I think dry firing w/o snap caps is like a woodpecker slowly chipping away. Just my 2 cents.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i am going to second that.

i think that dry firing is also part of the problem.
i dry fired my a bunch and it snapped in the middle of dry firing on mine as well..

good observation

JRC88

Bearcat
Same thing happened to my SR9 about a year ago. I was at the range, fired a few rounds and the trigger did not reset. Unloaded it, took it home and took it apart. I called Ruger and they sent me a new one and I returned the broken one to them.
My SR9 is an older one with maybe 800 rounds through it. When I put in the new striker assembly, the trigger pull seemed to improve.

jhearne

Buckeye
It's happened, but it's not a terribly common occurrence. It's happened with stock connectors and Ghost connectors, no real way to pin it on a specific part with such a low amount of identical issues.

Josh

Grendel

Single-Sixer
My guess is that when dryfiring, the tab on the striker is hitting the end of its channel on the frame by the breech end. Without a round or snap cap in the chamber, there's nothing to cushion those pieces colliding. With mine, if I disengage the striker block and let the striker protrude through the breech face, it looks like I'm getting contact between the tab and end of the channel. YMMV.

When mine broke, I was dryfiring fairly rapidly, so I can see that tab not liking those excessive collisions.

-JT

Sky1

Bearcat
Just finished cleaning mine today, rarely do I go to the striker to clean it but was pretty grungy so went into the firing pin area and noticed the cover was broken where it slides into the metal slide just above the locking pin. I have seen a number of posts about this. Cant really see how they are breaking off. Will call Ruger tomorrow.