Broke my Mark III - Can it be repaired? Yes, I'm an idiot.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dancing_dunce

Bearcat
Let's get this out in the air: yes, I'm an idiot.

I bought my first gun last month: a Ruger Mark III LITE. It was a love/hate relationship. I loved having a new gun, and I had done my research, and this model (although, not the LITE version) was highly recommended. People said that .22 rounds are cheap, and this gun shoots accurately.

However, I had buyer's remorse quickly.... I found that the safely often caught on the lock pin on the mainspring housing, making it nearly impossible to disengage the safety. I had a hell of a time taking the gun apart the first time... The gun jammed frequently (I've been using cheap round at $24/500). Worst of all, the magazine often got stuck on ejection, and I had to really tug hard to get it out. It's been a rough start with the gun.

I fixed the other issues, and began to really fall in love with the gun... until today, that is, when I decided to fix the magazine issue. I did some research online, and discovered that the problem is the magazine disconnector.

To make a long story short, I took the gun apart today, filed off the "arms" of the disconnector to essentially make a washer. I also trimmed the arms of the disconnector spring. In the process, I may have not properly actuated the sear... You can find the tutorial I followed here: http://imgur.com/a/JFLHm

I put the gun together, and was initially pleased: the magazine popped out beautifully!! HOWEVER, when I pulled the trigger, it didn't release the hammer after cocking the gun. This is really bad news: the Mark III requires that the hammer be released to take out the mainspring housing, and if you can't get the mainspring housing out (like I can't) you can't take the gun apart.

So, here I am: the safety now works great, and the magazines drop out beautiful, but the gun doesn't fire. I can't take the gun apart to fix it, because the hammer wont release, and the gun can't detect that there's a magazine in because I turned the disconnector into a washer.... And I'm not 100% sure that I properly set the sear, etc.

Is there anything that can be done (besides roasting me in this forum)? I'm going to grab a drink or two... or three... and I'll come back later to get your responses.

Thanks for your help! Humbly,

dancing_dunce

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Enjoy a few drinks,, relax & get away from it for a little while. Allow yourself to cool off before you tackle it again.
It's very odd that you've had so many issues with this gun. The MK series is a tried & true platform. The only issue most have is the re-assembly after they disassemble them.

I'm sure someone will come along soon to help you as I'm not the one to answer your problems. Hang in there,, they are good guns!

dancing_dunce

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Enjoy a few drinks,, relax & get away from it for a little while. Allow yourself to cool off before you tackle it again.

Thanks contender. Drinks had, blood pressure lowered.

tmullanejr

Bearcat
Call Ruger customer service, admit you did an idiot thing, pray for their forgiveness and ask them how to get the gun to them for repair (which you will most likely have to pay for)....
Then get down on your knees say a couple of Mea Culpa and swear you won't screw with something you really don't know how to fix...

Dan in MI

Staff member
Can you pop out the trigger and or sear pin? I know they are under tension and all, but if you can get one out then you should be able to take the gun down properly.

Even if you bugger up the trigger or sear. Either part is cheaper than shipping a handgun. YMMV

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
There is a way to manually release the hammer without having to drift out pins. You would need a long hooked scribe to accomplish this method. Follow the method here http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421

Since your 22/45 doesn't have slots cut in the frame you will have to insert the scribe up through the magazine well to hook the slot on the side of the sear. Once hooked you just pull downwards to release the hammer.

Edit- Forgot to mention, if your Mark III still has the magazine safety installed, you'll also need to trip it with a long shafted screwdriver to allow the sear to move. This means two tools inside the magazine well at the same time.

Hope this helps,
Bullseye

bulldog1946

Bearcat
Here is a site that may help you.Youtube. How to fix 2245 mainspring housing issues.What he shows you will work on any Ruger semi-auto.I've had to do several times.A more indepth video is by no more op 4,on Youtube.Hope this helps you.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Follow Blackhawks instructions to get the gun apart, but first go to Majestic Arms and order the speed strip kit and parts for removing mag disconnector...the right way. Hes strip kit is the way Ruger should have built it to start with.

Latest posts