Bought my second Ruger 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Guy_epic

Bearcat
Sight unseen. I bought it from a friend who has a shop. He took it in cheap and passed the savings on to me. It's a new model blackhawk in 357. The price was so good I trust him on his grading of 80% out side mint barrel and working condition. It has some scuffs but nothing I can either fix or live with. This is my first new model is there anything I should know? I rarely buy sight unseen, and he said when I pick it up if I don't like it I can walk so not to worried. He said the trigger has a great crisp snap to it. Better then his colt so I am pretty sure it has a good trigger, as I said we are friends before bussiness I buy a lot from him as I have know him my entire life. So what can you guys say about the new models? Good or bad what to look for? As for price it was under $300

Guy_epic

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
Other than the mechanics of the loading gate and hammer/trigger function they are great. Shoot and enjoy!

Do you mean to check those? Or they have issues?

Jim Puke

Hunter
Guy_epic said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
Other than the mechanics of the loading gate and hammer/trigger function they are great. Shoot and enjoy!

Do you mean to check those? Or they have issues?

They don't have issues...it will be fine.

They shoot just as well as the old model despite the claims of some. They have been made twice as long and sold a million more than the old models...so there must not be anything wrong with them.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
They just operate differently than OM`s do. No problems.
No half cock to release the cylinder to spin. The loading gate when opened releases the cylinder to turn and locks the hammer and trigger.
Different operation that stumps some who only have used the OM Rugers.
You will be operating it like that was the only way to do it in no time at all.
I own over 50 Ruger handguns,mostly NM Single actions. They are as tough and accurate as any.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Open the loading gate, load it with six rounds and feel completely safe. No messing around with the hammer either loading or unloading. :D :D

DGW1949

Hunter
Just remember that the transfer bar is attached to the trigger, not the hammer.
And yep, these guys are telling you right....it's going to operate, handle (and balance) a lot differently than your "converted" OM....totaly different actions, frame sizes, internal parts etc.

Shouldn't take you long to decide which you like the best. :wink: .

DGW

Guy_epic

Bearcat
Yes this will help me decide which one my third one will be. Although ti really want a birds head grip on my next one for cross draw. It could go either way. It will come down to which one I am faster, accurate, and comfortable with. Then the other one is a back up. Or trading stock, being I have all of sold, or traded three guns in my life. I don't get rid of them I keep em they are family.

Hugh

Buckeye
If you haven't done it already, make sure all chambers are empty. Cock the revolver and with your finger not on the trigger push the hammer forward. If the hammer falls it is not safe and needs to be replaced. Learned this one from experience after paying for the shooter; nope nobody hurt, tested it before first shooting session.