Bought a sr40c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bought it Wed, have to wait 3 days to pick it up. Seems like a helluva gun for $439! Looking forward to shooting it next week. Any recommendations on specific ammo, or brands to avoid?

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I have shot many different brands through mine. About 5000 rounds through it and still going strong. I primarily shoot Georgia Arms 180gr bulk ammo through mine, And I relaod quite a bit myself. A lot of Winchester White Box

Matt

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Have shot everything from 135 gr. to 180 gr. threw my SR40c and SR40, they likes FMJ and JHP equally well. I shoot mostly reloads at the range but for CC i use Hornady Critical Defense and there has never been a problem with it's performance.

Thanks for the comments. I really like the feel, size and capacity of this new gun. I couldn't at first decide whether to go with 40S&W or 9mm. The 9mm seems to be the more popular choice, but I went with the 40S&W caliber in part just because it is larger, and I have always liked the 45acp round, and in part because I thought if so many police departments have chosen to use this caliber, there must be something to that choice. I plan to try several different brands of ammo, but likely will keep jacketed hollow points in the mag when I carry it for self defense.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
My SR40c is one of my favorite firearms. Beautifully built and very accurate. Hard not to love this excellent pistol.
DSC_1317.jpg

DaGrinch

Bearcat
Bought my SR40C back in April of this year. Took it to the range a couple of days later and almost LOST it!!! Yep, the wife shot it and almost wouldn't give it back! I had to promise to buy her a SR9C.
I have run about 400 rounds down the barrel and found the 40C to be very reliable and accurate. Since I carry the 40C for work with the 17-rd mag, I had to qualify with it - shot 100% in a combat course. NEVER did that with my Sig P229 before I retired from my previous employment.
Out of all these times on the range, I've tried everything from cheap ammo to the expensive stuff. No problems with any of them. The secret I feel is watching some of the videos on cleaning the weapon. I read all the reviews and forums about the striker channel being loaded with grease and shavings. IMHO, that is the most critical issue in making sure you get good strikes, as well as proper feeds. When I first received my 40C, before I ever shot it, I cleaned every part of the gun. I've had no problems with it and I stake my life on it every day.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
RedlegM109A1 said:
My SR40c is one of my favorite firearms. Beautifully built and very accurate. Hard not to love this excellent pistol.
DSC_1317.jpg

Thanks for making me wish I had the all black version... jerk.. :lol: Got the stainless, I love it but sometimes I think I'd prefer the all black look. Grass is always greener on the other side I guess.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Meditator said:
Lucky you! I haven't found a used SR40c yet.

And just why do you think that is? :D :D :D

Congrats on your purchase vito! Same price as I paid for mine a few weeks ago.

Mine hasn't seen a factory load yet. About 150 JHP, just over 500 hard cast LSWC and not a jam.

graygun

Hunter
My SR9 has no problems with WWB and Serbian-made Monarch. The 1st time out,it had a few stovepipes on some reloads I'd bought at a show from a reputable guy but I think it was because I had not pre-cleaned the gun. Good luck with your new purchase.

Finally had a chance to go to the range with the new 40c. Fired about 150 rounds, trying out several brands/loads, from 135 grain to 180 grain. Seemed I was shooting low and to the left but I decided it was probably me, and not the sights so I didn't make any adjustments. Had a few Failure to Feed problems (and not always easy to clear). I should have kept better notice of which ammo gave me the trouble; I'm not sure but I think the lower powered rounds were the problem. Remington 180 grain seemed to work the best. Maybe its just the breaking in of the gun (how many rounds does it normally take to break in this gun?). Its a bit snappy, especially with the shorter mag/grip of the two magazines. I was also firing my S&W19 with 38 special ammo and its quite amazing how much milder it is to fire the revolver, but there is no easy way to conceal a 4-in barrel wheel gun. I hope to get some more range time soon.

Bill0157

Bearcat
norfolknova[quote"I have shot many different brands through mine. About 5000 rounds through it and still going strong. I primarily shoot Georgia Arms 180gr bulk ammo through mine, And I relaod quite a bit myself. A lot of Winchester White Box."quote]

I just Bought a SR40C and would like a recommandadtion of CCW Ammo. I pick mine up on Friday. Bill :)

Latest posts