Bolt Release Disengaging Magazine On Mk III 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
During my initial firing session with my new TALO 4.5" slab-sided barrel 22/45, I noticed that when activating the bolt release to get the bolt from slide lock into battery, on multiple occassions the magazine was slightly dislodged from the magazine catch, resulting in the second cartridge failing to load, as the magazine dropped so that the cartridge couldn't be picked up by the bolt during reciprocation. I fired some 200 rounds during this session; the problem seemed to diminish, but sporadically would reappear. Prior to the session, the gun was field-stripped, cleaned and lubricated IAW the manual (and yes, I did successfully fiedl-strip and subsequently reassemble the gun-but it certainly was an interesting process...)

Is this a "normal" occurrance during initial break-in, or is the bolt release or magazine catch suspect? I do not believe that my hand is inadvertantly activating the magazine release button.

Advice and comments appreciated!

Best, Jon

ACM73

Bearcat
It could be that your magazine was not inserted completely in the first place when this occurs. I have noticed that I will occasionally put the magazine in and not fully click it into place. If you were to do this, closing the bolt may pop it out if it is not seated fully. Next time you shoot check every magazine to make sure its inserted fully and see if your problem disappears.

agksimon

Bearcat
If you have a MKIII version, it's very easy to think the magazine is fully inserted, when it's not. Give it a good tap with your palm next time. I removed my magazine safety and installed one of Sam's bushings and the magazines go in and drop out very easily now.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, it's recommended that instead of pushing off the bolt release, you should pull the bolt to the rear & let it go. A loaded mag will cause the lock to drop out of the way. If you do a lot of using the bolt release, it's POSSIBLE to wear it enough to where it doesn't lock open reliabily.