Bob Campbells Hawkeye is at auction. Its Nice.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/categories/index.cfm?category=796838060&sortby=default&group=4

If any of you had had an opportunity to speak to Bob Campbell - know that this one was from his personal collection. We believe it was shot twice, one by Bob, and one by his brother Ray. We still had the box with 2 missing.

In Pops words, this is nice, real nice. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.

Number 228 in the auction.

Amanda

indeed this one is a beauty, as I knew the man who sold this gun to Bob back then, there were "others" offered to Bob, but this was NEW, unfired, complete, even has the shipper if I recall......good luck, I hope the auction does it justice.............

P89DC

Single-Sixer
What are the "red lightning strikes" on the right side of the frame?

P89DC

Single-Sixer
frustrated middle child said:
they are caused by the heat treat process. Sometimes you get lightningstrikes, other times you get plum colored parts.

In other words, defective manufacturing processes....

Ale-8(1) said:
Went for $3370.00

Somebody got a beauty!

:) :) :)

I never have understood the collector market. In the case of Rugers, some of the most valuable collector guns are marketplace losers with manufacturing defects that have never been shot ;)

"Marketplace losers" are therefore likely scarce to rare, and therefore attract collectability to those so inclined.

You either appreciate something for itself or you don't. Makes the hobby go 'round.

I informally collect coins, but have no interest whatsoever in stamps. Whatever.

:)

street

Hunter
P89DC said:
frustrated middle child said:
they are caused by the heat treat process. Sometimes you get lightningstrikes, other times you get plum colored parts.

In other words, defective manufacturing processes....

Ale-8(1) said:
Went for $3370.00

Somebody got a beauty!

:) :) :)

I never have understood the collector market. In the case of Rugers, some of the most valuable collector guns are marketplace losers with manufacturing defects that have never been shot ;)

Two things make a gun valuable as a collectible. One is rarity, and the other is desirability. The thing that made the Hawkeye rare was that it was a market place loser. No one wanted it so it didn't sell well. Back in the middle 60s A distributer had 5 of those Hawkeyes in stock and offered them to my local gun shop for a little over $50 dollars a piece, which was the distributers cost. My local GS turned him down because he couldn't sell them as no one wanted them. The other thing desirability! Rugers are one of the most popular guns ever made and a lot of people want them. So in order to have a well rounded Ruger collection you need at least one Hawkeye. So there you have it, Rarity and desirability. All from a market place loser!!!!

chet15

Hawkeye
Wheelgun said:
You guys would cry if you knew what happened (in the late 90's) to the remaining unsold inventory of Hawkeyes.... :cry:

Mark

I heard about it. Some great stuff lost there.
Also heard Hawkeye stuff wasn't the only things that were destroyed.
A shame!!
Chet15

Hondo44

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
Wheelgun said:
You guys would cry if you knew what happened (in the late 90's) to the remaining unsold inventory of Hawkeyes.... :cry:

Mark

I heard about it. Some great stuff lost there.
Also heard Hawkeye stuff wasn't the only things that were destroyed.
A shame!!
Chet15

Destroyed at the factory, how many, hundreds, thousands? Look what they could be getting by auctioning them off now like the other guns they currently auction.

Wheelgun

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
... Look what they could be getting by auctioning them off now like the other guns they currently auction.

The Hawkeyes, with no transfer bar didn't match up to the company's safety standard and retro-fitting would've cost more than it would've been worth. You've got to remember, the "Old Man" still had the last word on what ultimately went on a that time.... He stuck to his guns (literally) regarding selling collector's items. He wanted everything he sold to be used for the purpose he envisioned when he designed it.

Mark