Blackhawk mods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Thinking about taking about 2.5" Off my 7.5" 45 colt blackhawk. Your thoughts? Reason is I'm gonna make this my Alaska sidearm during my annual moose hunt and think the shorter barrel will be better to get out quick if needed. Any suggestions on a smith that will do a great job (no one here in Hawaii)'
Thanks.....

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I would rather keep the longer sight radius
And leave things as they are. I don't have young eyes anymore

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No one on the islands, that's depressing. In answer to your question, here's the best, just Google:

Hamilton Bowen Classic Arms
Cylinder and Slide
David Clements
Andy Horvath

Alan Harton:
[email protected]
http://www.gunblast.com/AlanHarton.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Harton-No5.htm

Gallagher. His prices are very reasonable also. http://www.gallagherfirearms.com/ Great guy to deal with.

Ben Forkin (http://www.gunblast.com/Forkin44Vaquero.htm)...

Vans Custom guns over in Sandusky, Ohio.

Actually in your situation, the most cost effective solution is to sell your gun and just buy the short barrel model, you'll be time, hassle and money ahead!

If you still want to cut 2.5" off, you might as well get the extra long Ejector rod and housing too. It'll knock the empty cases all the way out of the cylinders. If not cut it all the way to 4 5/8" like the factory short barrel which is even with the end of the ejector and make it as compact as possible.

But that's such an easy job you could do it yourself if you're the least bit handy. And save about $250 in labor and shipping fees. Get a hacksaw, a fine mill file and a 4 flute countersink bit for your drill to crown the muzzle; once the cut barrel is trued up square with the file. Buy a new sight from Ruger and a sight screw. If you don't drill and tap holes, any machine shop can do that. By screwing the sight on, you won't have to reblue the barrel like if it was soldered back on.

Let us know how it turns out.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Ever consider 6"?

401Bobcat4.jpg

I find it to be a nice compromise between ease of carry and good sight radius.

quicksdraw

Bearcat
My thought would be that the simplest and least $$ way would be to sell the pistol you have now and buy the one you really want

Nowata

Single-Sixer
Please do not defile a fine weapon...buy another(each has a purpose), and expand the family.

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
Nowata said:
Please do not defile a fine weapon...buy another(each has a purpose), and expand the family.

+1

Only quick picture of one of mine with short barrel I could find is the Old Model Blackhawk 4 5/8" 357MAG... same idea though.
ruger357.jpg

And the custom cross draw dual use rig I had made for it that also carries the OM Single Six 22MAG 5 1/2" just fine, so I had the belt made with both 357MAG and 22MAG loops with a 6/22, 12/357, 6/22 layout that I position center of back for easy access with either hand.
rugerrig.jpg

MG-70

Single-Sixer
I see nothing wrong with chopping part of the barrel, after all these guns are still being made and are common, but before you go chopping, remember that states have different legal requirements of barrel lengths for hunting, so if you plan on using it for hunting somewhere, you may want to check that location's requirements first. And yes, I realize you're not planning on hunting in AK with it.

Lee Martin, that's a great-looking revolver!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ladobe said:
And the custom cross draw dual use rig I had made for it that also carries the OM Single Six 22MAG 5 1/2" just fine, so I had the belt made with both 357MAG and 22MAG loops with a 6/22, 12/357, 6/22 layout that I position center of back for easy access with either hand.
rugerrig.jpg

That's a great looking gun and rig. And I like the Marcus Aurelius quote.
That is so true in life, especially in politics.

thanks for sharing both,

PastorScott

Bearcat
Cut it down... You will love it. I chopped a 7.5 to 5.5 and never looked back... it is more comfortable more concealable, custom and made for me. I also love my Weigand front sight that has an interchangable blade. These are not colts, enjoy it, abide in it and make it yours!

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
Alaska and a .45 Colt? I would choose a "real" big bore...........

JMHO,

flatgate
Awful lot of Alaskans carry exactly that, 45 colts +p loads. My handloads are 300gr hardcast (was gonna use some of my 300gr Hornady XTP mags but a friend of mine gave me 50 of the hardcast). Loaded up a batch using 21.7 W296, medium crimp and I'm getting 1300fps at the muzzle. Way they see it up there is a 454 is fine for the first shot, but recoil is bad enuff that a follow up shot might not be possible before that sow or boar is up on you. The Blackhawk is my last line of defense, the first line being a Hawkeye stainless 300wm with 200gr partitions, followed by a mossberg 12ga cruizer loaded up with mag loads of slug and 00 buck (carry that in a back scabbard). Guess the best scenario is to give em plenty of room...... :p