Blackhawk 30 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mark38090

Bearcat
Just picked up a 30 carbine blackhawk. Been on my want list since 1992 when I pt one on layaway at Walmart. When I went to pick it up in January 1993 I saw a stainless GP100 that I bought instead. This one popped up on Armslist when I had the money so it's mine now. I don't know how to post pictures but it looks brand new.

buffalocannon

Bearcat
Mark, recently bought .30 Carbine Blackhawk I came across too. New model. Tough finding ammo so had to order. Shoots well. Armscor. Won't swear to it yet but if you held gun to my head, I might say that the Ruger with 7.5" barrel shoots more accurately than my M1 Carbine. Certainly has better sights. I enjoy shooting mine. Good punch but low recoil. Loud but not much more than anything else. Enjoy yours!

hittman

Staff member
Lots of 30 Carbine ammo around here 'cause most shooters use or hoard things like 38 or 9mm.

My OM 30 Carbine is an excellent and FUN gun to shoot.

Congrats on your new gun.

If you have a New Model .32-20 shoots and reloads fine. It can be hard to find but I've always been able to get enough Black Hills ctgs. here in SoCal to keep me in ctgs. and cases. And even with CA's @#$%&!! ammo laws, you can always order the fine Black Hills cases direct and then load them up to your liking.

Don't know what rechambering an Old Model to take .32-20 would cost, but it might give you a nice option when .30 Carbine ammo is scarce. And in a real pinch it will fire almost all .32 handgun ctgs. fairly well too (never tried .327s in mine--has anyone else?).

Hondo44

Hawkeye
.32-20 cannot be fired in OM Ruger .30 Carbine cyls as is. The chambers seat the .30 carbine rimless case flush with the cyl face, so the rimmed 32-20 case head won't fit far enough in the end of the .30 chamber. By simply recessing the chamber mouths to the .061" thickness of the .32-20 rim they will shoot in the OM chambers. Or Facing off the rear of the cylinder .061", will fix that and still shoot 30 carbine.