Bisley Single Six Convertible Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azdover

Bearcat
I've always liked Ruger single actions with a Bisley grip frame. I've done a couple of New Model Blackhawk 357s and decided I wanted a 22 Single Six Bisley conversion. After looking around a bit, I didn't realize how relatively easy it is to do. All you need is a:
- A complete plow handle 22 Single Six
- A Bisley grip frame - a lot of times you can find them on MidwayUSA or Brownells
- Bisley grip panels - Hogue is a good source
- Two 6-40 3/8" inch screws to replace the upper grip frame screws. I think factory Bisley's use hex head screws although I found some Torx head screws at a local hardware store that just happened to carry a small selection of gun screws.

KKR3EYJ.jpg

It took a couple of days of filing and sanding to fit the frames together, although I did lose one day trying to get the grip frame hammer pivot screw out (long screw for short). Sometime in the past it had been installed on the wrong side.

I swapped over most of the pins and screws as necessary, substituting the Torx head screws for the slotted upper grip frame screws. I'm going to use the original hammer and trigger until I can locate a Single Six Bisley hammer.

Some times, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
Pete

EfrieKg.jpg

Y5nCkl9.jpg

Woodtroll

Bearcat
Bisley Single Six hammers have been unavailable for quite a while through the usual sources - Midway, Brownells, etc. Ruger won't sell them separately anymore either. I'd like to find one myself for a similar conversion. Good luck in your search!

azdover

Bearcat
Good looking gun there!

Did you round the heel of the grip frame or buy it that way?
I rounded the frame during the install. Whipped out the ol' angle grinder and knocked it out in no time.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Just kidding about the angle grinder. Started with a coarse bastard file to rough it out and then used less aggressive files finally cleaning it up with sand paper and foam backed buffing pads.

azdover

Bearcat
Bisley Single Six hammers have been unavailable for quite a while through the usual sources - Midway, Brownells, etc. Ruger won't sell them separately anymore either. I'd like to find one myself for a similar conversion. Good luck in your search!
I found and ordered a Power Custom Single Six Bisley hammer and trigger kit after I finished the swap. The factory Single Six hammer is actually about the same height above the back of the Bisley grip frame since the Single Six cylinder frame is smaller than a Blackhawk cylinder frame. Here's a picture of a BH Bisley hammer compared to the Single Six's.

IMG_1325.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
"Whipped out the ol' angle grinder and knocked it out in no time."

Love it! :D

Yep,, your fun approach to posts fits right in here.

Fun stuff aside,, it does look good!

harley08

Blackhawk
I've always liked Ruger single actions with a Bisley grip frame. I've done a couple of New Model Blackhawk 357s and decided I wanted a 22 Single Six Bisley conversion. After looking around a bit, I didn't realize how relatively easy it is to do. All you need is a:
- A complete plow handle 22 Single Six
- A Bisley grip frame - a lot of times you can find them on MidwayUSA or Brownells
- Bisley grip panels - Hogue is a good source
- Two 6-40 3/8" inch screws to replace the upper grip frame screws. I think factory Bisley's use hex head screws although I found some Torx head screws at a local hardware store that just happened to carry a small selection of gun screws.

KKR3EYJ.jpg

It took a couple of days of filing and sanding to fit the frames together, although I did lose one day trying to get the grip frame hammer pivot screw out (long screw for short). Sometime in the past it had been installed on the wrong side.

I swapped over most of the pins and screws as necessary, substituting the Torx head screws for the slotted upper grip frame screws. I'm going to use the original hammer and trigger until I can locate a Single Six Bisley hammer.

Some times, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
Pete

EfrieKg.jpg

Y5nCkl9.jpg

azdover

Bearcat
Very Nice Job! Looks great!
Do you do work for other people?
Nope. Just a hobby. After doing a couple of these conversions, I now have an idea why good gunsmiths charge as much as they do. I posted this to give other folks an idea of how to do a Single Six Bisley grip frame conversion and what parts the minimum parts they'd need. If a "Joe Bag-A-Donuts" guy like me can do this with common inexpensive hand tools, anybody can.

Last edited:

harley08

Blackhawk
Nope. Just a hobby. After doing a couple of these conversions, I now have an idea why good gunsmiths charge as much as they do. I posted this to give other folks an idea of how to do a Single Six Bisley grip frame conversion and what parts the minimum parts they'd need. If a "Joe Bag-A-Donuts" guy like me can do this with common inexpensive hand tools, anybody can.
Great Thanks!

I know Ronnie Wells used to charge $150 to fit one of his grip frames. After installing several, this is a bargain. I'm sure Contender will agree…

By the time I have a grip frame installed- mostly by hand sanding so I don't have to reblue the main frame- and then finish contouring and finishing grip panels- I'll bet I have at least 8 hours into it. Granted, this isn't nose to the grindstone production work- it's retired guy doing a hobby kinda work.

Even if I had a FFL I don't think I'd ever want to do this as a job- it would take all the fun out of it. Then again- I've always had what my wife calls a "different" view on work. The movie "Hope Floats" has a conversation that sorta nailed it… the character Justin is building a finely crafted staircase for Birdee, and she asks…

Birdee Pruitt : Who's the architect?

Justin Matisse : You're kiddin', huh?... That's half the fun.

Birdee Pruitt : You go around Smithville paintin' houses, and you can do this?

Justin Matisse : Yeah.

Birdee Pruitt : You could... you could do so much more.

Justin Matisse : I guess so, huh?

Birdee Pruitt : You know what I meant.

Justin Matisse : I know exactly what you meant. You're talkin' 'bout the American Dream. You find something that you love, and then you twist it, and you torture it, try and find a way to make money at it. You spend a lifetime doing that. At the end, you can't find a trace of what you started out lovin'.
Sorry, I got sort of off track there. I was just looking at the unfinished Jeep in the garage and the growing to-do list around the property and was getting bummed wishing I had found a way to make a lot more money before retiring…

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I know Ronnie will fit a grip frame & all,, but I PREFER to do it myself. And actually,, I did the grip frame fitting in about 2 hours time. The grips,, so far,, I have about an hour into them. But part of the fun is knowing I did them myself.

I agree with wanting to do it myself. I have a hard time not finding flaws or shortcomings in projects that I don't do myself. The grip frame to main frame is the easy part- it just requires precision. The contours of the grip panels and the front and back straps and trigger guard require more artistry to achieve symmetry and flow.

contender

Ruger Guru
The grip panels do require a bit more time. But wanting them to fit MY hands,, makes it all the more enjoyable. Using square blocks, I start with a basic shape, similar to factory. Then, I use my sanders to start the contours to a rougher shape. I cheat a little. I have a modeling clay mold of how my hand shape is. It helps me figure out where I need to remove material, and where I need to leave material.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I'm going to use the original hammer and trigger until I can locate a Single Six Bisley hammer.
You can use an easy to find Bisley trigger with the original hammer till you find a Bisley hammer.
At least it would get you some more trigger finger room in there. :)