Big Kitty

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cholo

Staff member
Bobcats are absolutely gorgeous! I spent 25 years woods bumming and deer hunting and never got to see a bobcat in the wild. It's a hoss!

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Most people will never see a bobcat, I just today read a article in the Pa. Game news about how elusive they are I have only seen one in all my years.

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
Every now and then I will see one in the back yard. Its kinda unnerving because compared to a house cat they are so leggy, plus they kinda bounce when they trot along- your eyes tell you its just an overgrown house cat but your brain says saber tooth tiger. :D

A few years back the daughter was sunning on the deck when one chased a rabbit underneath where she was laying. DAAAAADDD!! :lol: I ran over and there it was, trotting back into the woods with that bouncy gait they have..

I won't let anyone shoot them. I think they are magnificent animals, plus they are free rodent control. :wink:

pete44ru

Hunter

I've only ever seen three Bobcats, all while out hunting.

The 1st was on the Fort Bragg Military Reservation in 1966, the 2nd ten years ago while deer hunting in Maine - and the last one two years ago, here.

I've seen several, treed some kittens(MaMa came back and made me let them go), trapped a couple, and shot a few.
You may think they're cute and all that but they will clean out your turkeys, rabbits, and any other small game within a couple of years. To allow one to "chased a rabbit underneath where she was laying." is absolute folly and dangerous to boot.

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXf00_avzoA

And this one attacked the family dog then entered their home:

https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2019/06/25/bobcat-attacks-dog-enters-pleasant-valley-residence-police/1557517001/

Bobcat attacks golfer:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/us/bobcat-golfer-attack-trnd/index.html

Number9

Blackhawk
A good rule to follow is... Never Trust Any Wild Animal!!!!

Only a few is on my most never trust list... and the bobcat is one of them.
I guess this area has a good population of bobcats.. I see several every year, last one was a couple of months ago and would you believe.. It was on Wildcat Road(Forest Rd. 384), Tellico.

Saw a cougar two years ago, I was going over the mountain between Tellico and Coker Creek when it crossed Hwy 68. I've only seen three of them.. funny, TWRA has said over the years that Tennessee doesn't have cougars, now they have a website to report seeing one!

But.. the most elusive is the Black Panther.. yeah, I know you don't believe it.
Saw what I believe was the same cat twice a day apart.. the second time it was about 9:00 in the morning at a distance of around 50 yards, it was walking along the fence row. I believe it was a melanistic cougar.. it was identical to a regular cougar, only solid black. Biologist say they are not known, but a jaguar and leopard still has visible spots when black, this one didn't.

Number9

Blackhawk
RolandDeschain said:
Number9 said:
A good rule to follow is... Never Trust Any Wild Animal!!!!

Only a few is on my most never trust list... and the bobcat is one of them.
I guess this area has a good population of bobcats.. I see several every year, last one was a couple of months ago and would you believe.. It was on Wildcat Road(Forest Rd. 384), Tellico.

Saw a cougar two years ago, I was going over the mountain between Tellico and Coker Creek when it crossed Hwy 68. I've only seen three of them.. funny, TWRA has said over the years that Tennessee doesn't have cougars, now they have a website to report seeing one!

But.. the most elusive is the Black Panther.. yeah, I know you don't believe it.
Saw what I believe was the same cat twice a day apart.. the second time it was about 9:00 in the morning at a distance of around 50 yards, it was walking along the fence row. I believe it was a melanistic cougar.. it was identical to a regular cougar, only solid black. Biologist say they are not known, but a jaguar and leopard still has visible spots when black, this one didn't.

I believe you on the cougar sightings - they are showing up on game cams all over the state.

But that black panther thing....did the sasquatch have him on a leash? :lol: :lol:

I said..."yeah, I know you don't believe it." You're not the first!

Well.. I've been it the Southern Appalachian Mountains for almost 71 years...
and if old Wayne tells you he has seen a blue stop sign.. your butt better believe it! LOL!!!

Blue_stop_sign.png

"the daughter was playing NCAA D1 basketball at the time. She could kick YOUR butt, much less a 25lb bobcats.."

I've been within a few feet of a 25# bobcat and IMHO, being attacked by one would result in serious injuries.
No disrespect for Daughter BUT, participation is a child's game(at any level) is no guarantee of success in a physical confrontation with either man or beast. Your opinions are in the minority and I certain hope those choices don't end up biting your butt(literally).

I have seen a few Bobs, we call 'em Wildcats down here, over the years. Would not want to tangle with any of them.

Based on the numbers of turkeys in FL today, wildcats are not a threat to the population. Apparently turkeys can thrive with 'yotes in the neighborhood also.

Although I do attempt to shoot 'yotes on site at my deer lease.

contender

Ruger Guru
Beautiful pics!
I also have bobcats on my property. Heck, I even have pics of a young one inside my old (and about fallen in) barn. I see about 1-2 a year. I've seen adults & kittens. I've had them tip-toe around my deer stands. Once, I even had one start to climb the tree I was in.
Beautiful cats & fun to watch & enjoy.

Many folks feel they are a threat to other species of animals such as turkeys, rabbits, quail, & such. I firmly believe that if they have been in an area for a few decades,, they will "balance out" in numbers as Mother Nature seems to adjust things as necessary. I get pictures of turkeys, deer, bobcats, rabbits, possums, house cats, dogs, coyotes, rats, squirrels, coons, bears, & ALL on the same cameras on my property. Bobcats are just one small link in the long chain of life around here.

BUT,,,,,,,,,,, as noted above;
"A good rule to follow is... Never Trust Any Wild Animal!!!!"

While rare, people have been attacked by bobcats as well as many other normally non-aggressive critters. Always use caution,, and never allow yourself to be put in a place where you could possibly be hurt.

On my property,, I leave the bobcats alone,, as I have a soft spot for cats in general. Coyotes,, not so much!

Now,, the OP was kind enough to show off some great pics. Let's enjoy them!

jgt

Buckeye
All cats, be it cougar, bobcat, or feral tabby have razor sharp claws that can do serious damage before you can blink an eye. Any human that wins a fight with one will end up in the ER being stitched back together and infused with lots of penicillin. I have seen cougar in the wild and they are not afraid even though they have the ability to disappear in a heartbeat. I have killed bobcats up to thirty-five pounds so they can get large enough to do serious damage. I shoot every feral cat I come across. In my non-expert opinion, I believe feral and Miss Jones' tabby cats kill more rabbits, quail, and turkey than all the cougars and bobcats put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts