Betting not much lomger for the P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nevada

Single-Sixer
Three reasons:
I ordered a few small parts on Friday and Ruger is sending them to me at no charge. They weren't expensive to begin with, but I'm getting them free, including postage.

On the Ruger website at the bottom of the centerfire pistol list on the left side of the page, 'P95' is in a very light grey, like they don't want you to pay attention to it. The P345 is the same, but I don't have a guess why.

The P95 has been out since 1996. I believe the SRs are its replacements.

Guess I'll add one more. I was able to order every spring used in the gun as spares, and didn't get any hassle about the ones marked for Ruger or gunsmith installation only.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
"The P95 has been out since 1996. I believe the SRs are its replacements."

Yeppers. That would be my guess as well. Its possible the .45acp is a yet to be revealed SR series chambered in .45 caliber.

9x19

Hunter
That's a lot of speculation over a simple parts order! :D

Heck, I'm surprised it's survived this long since they dropped the metal framed P-Series pistols.

If they drop the P95, that's just one more category (centerfire semi-auto pistol) I'll have to buy/recommend others buy from a competitor, as I do not like any of their other current offerings.

roylt

Hunter
Rei40c said:
"The P95 has been out since 1996. I believe the SRs are its replacements."

Yeppers. That would be my guess as well. Its possible the .45acp is a yet to be revealed SR series chambered in .45 caliber.

I think ruger made a SR 45ACP. They call it SR1911.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
DixieBoy said:
See the thread about P90 magazines for what Ruger OUGHT to do. - DixieBoy

I like some of the striker fired pistols. I've got a Springfield XDM in 4.5 inch barrel, .45 acp that is one of the best pistols I've ever owned. Super accurate, super fun to shoot.

I think Ruger's problem is that they don't realize when they've got a winner, they should at least keep it as an offering. Everyone has a striker fired pistol these days, but Ruger had something different, with the metal framed and external hammer P series pistols. Just because they offer a striker fired pistol line doesn't mean they needed to drop an otherwise successful line. But hey, they never asked my advice. :lol: - DixieBoy

Good point, I learned to shoot on a P89DC that belonged to my brother. When I grew up I bought an SR40c which I have today based on that. It's just not the same. I'd compare it to driving a classic 1950's automobile to a new Porsche. Sure, the new stuff is better in almost every way imaginable but it doesn't drive like the old classics.

Ruger was building tanks, and if your building tanks I think you can hold a niche in the pistol market. Their accuracy was not that great as I remember though, maybe that was addressed in the later P series offerings I'm not sure I never shot them. Being different can be a good thing and I think there will always be those who favor a hunk of steel in their hands as opposed to plastic.

Al James

Hunter
It would be a bad move if Ruger discontinued the P95 or dropped the entire P line IMO. They are only building 2 P-gun models, both of which could be argued as the P-gun perfected. The 2 new models have the features that Ruger has decided we and our state governments all want. The guns function well, are easy to operate and are both actually quite accurate in the right hands. And, as a bonus for Rugers share holders, they are cheaper to produce than the earlier aluminum framed pistols.

Unfortunately, not all is well as the P345 is hampered by a weak Mag Disconnect design. Which IMO, is the only mechanical flaw in the current 2 P-gun offerings.

I for one am a huge fan of the new Post-2005 P95 design although I wished it were still offered as a DC only. They seem to sell a large number of the guns and they have a great reputation. Especially if you are not rolling around in cash at the time of purchase. I cant think of a better $300 gun.

P.S. THINGS TO DO TODAY:

1. Post election, trying to forget what just happened, ramble/rant post-----Check!

roylt

Hunter
I have a DC only unit with rail and stipling. I figured you would too Al.

Al James

Hunter
roylt said:
I have a DC only unit with rail and stipling. I figured you would too Al.

I have both the older [original] and the newer railed model, both in the DC only configuration. I really like the newer KP95DPR15. The older style gets slick so I usually put on a hogue on it which changes the look. I had a pair of railed DC's that I sold to a father and son. As soon as they were gone, I thought well that was stupid, and tried to find another one. The later model is harder to find since they only made it for around 2 years. Finally found another one NIB on GB, overpaid for it and now I'm happy again.

Roy, its to bad your not closer we could get together and shoot the breeze and some cans.

roylt

Hunter
I would love to shoot the breeze and I usually do when I go to the range. HAHA Cans are pretty small for my skill level but I don't get too much practice really.

Well I got the bad news today and I doubt I will be able to pick up one of your DAO units. Still watching though just in case.

Al James

Hunter
Sorry to hear about the news Roy. Too bad I was hoping that you would be able to swing one or two of those dao P guns. Maybe the ones you want won't sell for a while? I had a couple people interested in buying the whole set. That would be sweet for them to all go to the same home. We'll see.

Nevada

Single-Sixer
I have a P345 along with the 1996 P95. The P95s trigger is much better than the 345. I get the 95 and just hold it sometimes. It feels so right in my hand, almost as good as my CZ75, even though the ergo's sre different. I'm trading the 345 for a high cap Para Ordnance in commander size. The 345 looks good, but after a couple hundred rounds I don't want it anymore. The 95 will always be with me. Sometimes I think I need the new version of the 95, too. But I don't shoot enough to justify it. I'm trying hard to stick to that line.

welder

Buckeye
I have two new unfired ones in the safe for that dreaded day when Ruger drops them. I believe I'll pick up another just to be safe.