Being celebrity obsessed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
During the news on TV last night they showed the huge crowds, and lines of people at the funeral or viewing of Lisa Marie Presley. I couldn't help but think "What are all those people doing there?". I bear her no ill will, in fact I think that this woman never had a chance at a normal life just by being the daughter of a world famous celebrity. Her multiple marriages only added to the evidence of what a distorted reality she must have lived in. But she herself was not a celebrity, I think, unless just being the daughter of a famous person makes one a celebrity in their own right. What would motivate seemingly normal people to wait in a long line, carrying a photo of Ms. Presley, to see her body or even to just show up at the spectacle of her funeral? I'm 79 and have witnessed the passing of many people that I have admired or respected, from all aspects of our society, but I have never personally traveled to be in the funeral event for any of these since none of them were in my personal circle nor me in their's. So I truly do not understand what drives people, even if they live nearby to where such an event is taking place, to have such an interest in the death of this woman as to want to be a part of her funeral. I welcome any remarks which might give me some understanding of this weird dynamic.

hittman

Staff member
Dead celebrities should be a cautionary tale. But it doesn’t seem stuff like this is taught any more.

Fame and fortune still don’t create happiness. Happiness comes from within! This woman had all the advantages life could give her. Born into financial wealth, white, female, attractive, very much like American royalty; yet she had 3 or 4 failed marriages, a child commit suicide, trips to drug and/or alcohol rehab, etc.

Just look at the never ending list of famous people who self destruct.
Elvis
Hank Williams Sr.
John Belushi
Heath Ledger
Amy Winehouse
…. There’s dozens and dozens …..

To me, many ( Most? ) celebrities are an example of what not to do, now not to act.

Regardless, RIP Lisa Marie, I hope you have finally found peace. Very sad, way too young.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I think that there are many people who attend those gatherings simply to be near others who share their passions with the deceased. I/we used to attend a Revolutionary War get-together in Vermont for several years for almost the same reasons.

RSIno1

Hunter
She did have her own singing gig for awhile also 4 marriages and she inherited $100 million in 1993 on her 25th birthday, but it's been reported that the majority of her inheritance has been squandered due to mismanagement and bad investments - gee I wonder where it went......Presley, along with friend and fellow Memphian and Scientologist .....

peachhead

Single-Sixer
To each their own, I guess. At least the Queen was an actual historic figure with many accomplishments in her life. Dunno what the big deal is with the other chick.

While many here wouldn't think a second of visiting a talk by Jeff Cooper (if possible today) these same people wouldn't even consider going to a talk by Oprah. It is all about likes and dislikes. An example: My wife and I were sitting at the Ripken Stadium having supper with Vi, Ellie, and Cal Ripken Jr.. Ellie and I bowled together for a few years so I know the family. I wouldn't ask for Cal's autograph for any reason yet he couldn't eat peacefully for being badgered by others wanting him to sign something or other. It is all about what is, or appears to be, important to the individual.

dstegjas

Bearcat
Vito, I have never understood it either. I suppose they don’t feel their life is interesting enough. Their way of changing that is to some how interject themselves into the life of someone that is.

kmoore

Buckeye
Why do so many self-destruct on their own or with family frame. Entitlement, the sense/feeling that they have it. Entitlement, the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment. When a person is not grounded in reality that their position in life or money, they have doesn't make them any better/special than others it's easy for their life to go off the rails.
Nothing like meeting these types of people, unless you acknowledge them when meeting and they don't like what you're doing. It goes like this, "Do you know who I am?"

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
She never came to any of MY FAMILY's funerals. I care not quite as much about hers as she does about my mother and fathers funerals.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Before my "transition" to Biology in my 40s, I worked in the title insurance field in SoCal. I also volunteered at the Dub Taylor Celebrity Sporting Clays shoots for several years, as well as the San Gabriel Valley Quail Unlimited Chapter, as Chapter President and then Chapter Chairman. Because of these events, I got to meet several dozen "celebrities". Some were jerks (e.g. Phil Spangenberger, the gun writer). Most were just normal people, like Lou Ferrigno (avid sporting clays shooter), John Astin (as funny in person as he is on TV), Tom Selleck (never actually met him but he always donated to our fundraisers), Andy Garcia, etc.