Beef with Ruger Single Nine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
I have a fairly new Ruger Single Nine that I overall like a lot. Beautiful gun and it functions nicely excepting for one issue that I discovered. The gun was very difficult to zero; every time I thought I had it, it would be slightly off (windage) the next range session. I finally discovered the problem. The Williams rear sight has a certain amount of side to side play, such that it can vary the windage if it gets pushed to one side or the other. Should I send the revolver into Ruger and ask them to look at it? Or perhaps just ask a local gunsmith to look at it. Opinions and thoughts?

mag shooter

Bearcat
My single ten was the same and I just shimmed it tight to 1 side . I used thin clear plastic so you can't see it and it's held up fine .

Just an option................

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Mine had the same problem but it did shoot good, 20 shots from a rest at 10 yards all in an inch. I traded it for a CZ 455. I just did not like the gun. All my other RUGERS are great, the 10 just did not the right feel to me. Just like the girls I've dated, some I liked and some not so much !

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Remove the sight and peen it with a hammer which will flatten it out and make it wider.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Replace the rear with a Bowen or a good Ruger rear sight.
It shouldn't rattle around but then it is NOT a target gun with $100 factory sights, is it?

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
mag shooter said:
My single ten was the same and I just shimmed it tight to 1 side . I used thin clear plastic so you can't see it and it's held up fine .

Could you please expand on that? Like what kind of plastic? Size? Would scotch tape work?

mag shooter

Bearcat
GypsmJim said:
mag shooter said:

Could you please expand on that? Like what kind of plastic? Size? Would scotch tape work?

Be glad to .

This is where the shim is , I had a fair amount of side to side play before
IMG_0848_zps997ab500.jpg

Most things I thought of were too thick but a piece from a pepsi bottle in this area was a snug fit
IMG_0849_zps5bf0268a.jpg

I cut a large piece and started whittling it down once I saw the thickness was right. It was a snug fit but still allows elevation to move freely. ( Finished shim was much smaller :mrgreen: )

IMG_0850_zps5b82449e.jpg

Hope this helps .

ps. I have since ordered 2 sets of Williams fire sights for my Single Sixes (from source other than Ruger ) and neither of those had ANY slack .

edit: to add ( from source other than Ruger )

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Awesome idea...thanks for the tips (and your pics were awesome too).

I actually had the same idea, but couldn't think of a source for the plastic. I was going to lightly JBWeld the sides of the sight and then file it down until it was tight. But your idea took only 5 minutes and the solution was perfect.

My only problem was the bottle. We don't drink out of those things. But then I mentioned it to my wife and she had a couple in the closet that she used for craft supplies. Hope that Diet Coke works OK too....:).

xtratoy

Buckeye
AKDRSS said:
Remove the sight and peen it with a hammer which will flatten it out and make it wider.
+10 the easiest way to take the slop out of Ruger rear sights. I use a centerpunch and strike bottom of sight close to edge to displace metal making it wider. I do two punches on each side.Then use a file on the sides until it just fits with no side to side movement!

Latest posts