Beautiful New Bisley Vaquero... grip broken!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

308longdistance

Blackhawk
I think I would try some epoxy and a grip screw spacer first.

scary said:
rdf009,
Any links to affordable grips would be appreciated if I get the cold shoulder from my favorite gunmaker.

http://www.grashornsgunworks.com/
bis003.jpg

http://www.clccustomgrips.com/
HW002.jpg

caryc

Hawkeye
scary said:
caryc said:
98Redline said:
Seriously though, if someone over tightens a grip screw and breaks a grip, I don't why they would expect Ruger to absorb the loss.

IF someone overtightened a grip screw, no one should expect Ruger to absorb the loss.

IF the right grip panel is defective, i.e. too much material removed fitting to the gun resulting in breakage during normal use... Ruger should absorb the "loss". Right out of the box the right grip panel was loose, indicating a problem right away.

There is no material removed fitting those grips to the gun. The grips are molded. Take another look at my picture with the spacer above. The reason for that picture is to show how Ruger's grip screws are too short.

With the ferrules and spacer on the grip screw, you'll see that the remaining space shown on the vernier calipers is .240". Divide that in half and you get .120". I don't care if the grip is an inch thick, the ferrule hole has to be drilled down so there is only .120" behind the ferrule. With Ruger's short grip screws, the ferrule holes have to be sunk to a certain depth otherwise the grip screw will not reach the threaded ferrule.

This is why I quit using Ruger's grip screws and had my own screws made. My screws are considerably longer. I sink the ferrules to just below the surface of the grips and then trim off the grip screws to fit each individual set of grips that I make. That way, the ferrules look much better and there is much more material behind them.

If I had received that gun with the loose grip, I would have removed the grip and checked it before tightening it again. Well, actually I would have removed it to put a spacer in there. Unfortunately you can't prove whether it was you or someone else that over tightened the screw.

I would do as another poster said. Use a good two part epoxy glue and glue that piece back in. Using a grip screw spacer, I would bet that you would never have a problem with it again.

To anybody reading this: Grip screw spacers are cheap and they work. There is simply no reason for not using them. Do yourself a favor and purchase some.

scary

Bearcat
I mixed some JB weld and stuck the broken piece back in the hole and clamped it together. I bought a spacer from Home Depot and I'll try and fit it together after the bond cures.

dennie

Bearcat
I have actually "over-tightened" grip screws and broken a set of my grips. There, it's off my chest. :twisted: I used Super Glue to fix mine. So far they are doing fine, but now have a spacer between them. I make my spacers from an old bent aluminum arrow, which I actually have several of. I used a tubing cutter to cut them close, then filed them to a half inch using calipers to get them right. But, for 16 cents I may just pick up a few next time I go to Lowe's.
dennie

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I have a stainless large frame Vaquero with these plastic grips, and they were starting to break inside. I followed CLC's advice and bought an aluminum spacer, put it in and the grips have snugged right up. The grips do what they're supposed to again with no further damage, and I don't have to shop for replacements.

Rclark

Hunter
Grip screw spacers are cheap and they work.
I use the thick plastic clear tubing you can buy at the hardware store... Forget the size (1/4"?), but it just slips over the screw. A foot of the stuff will last for a lot of grips. Cut to fit.

caryc

Hawkeye
If you feel better making your own out of plastic then that's fine. But three or four bucks for the nice aluminum spacers will buy enough for all your shooters.

Three or four bucks doesn't seem so expensive when you consider how much you pay for one gun.

98Redline said:
The spacer is simply a plastic standoff (either a #6 or #8 screw, don't rembember) that is 1/2" long. I found them in the hardware bins at my local hardware store. Something like $0.16 each.

The spacer fits over the grip screw, between the grips and keeps the escutcheon from pulling through the back side.

For a $0.16 part, I don't know why Ruger does not add them as standard hardware at the factory.
All my spacers have been free. Take a bic pen, the kind with the stright tube, pull the pen part out and cut to fit.

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
Roger Ranger same thing I use only problem is got a new Ruger once and my dang Bic didn't run out of ink for 2 months.Longest I ever waited to shoot a Ruger in my life. :wink:

Mike

Latest posts