Bearcat trigger job

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akmania

Single-Sixer
Who here has disassembled their Bearcat and done a trigger job on it. Are they simply to do?

hittman

Staff member
Does yours not work right?
Ruger will likely fix it for free and you'll know it's done right with the proper tolerances, etc.

Never really had any issues with the Bearcats over the years seldom had to polish the lockwork,sear, trigger ,etc...... not exactly a target revolver or a CCW piece ( home defense) easy enough to put a glob of something ( yes even toothpaste) but we used the white grease ( lubriplate) what they put on camshafts for fitting, work it into the action and just use the gun, let all the parts "match/mesh" to themselves, NO need for any trick stuff of jigs and fixtures, we never did since early 1960s and having owned and run 3 different gun ( service ) shops.......
I will add ,knowing the nature of the "beast" ( stainless steel) due to tolerences and the material itself, it tends to burr, and gotta be careful NOT to cut yourself on "sharp edges" and Ruger has been making some 'New Bearcats' in 'stainless' but I have NOT had to work on any of them as I am now retired,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good luck ;)

akmania

Single-Sixer
Yeah mine works, but would like to smooth , lighten it a little. I doubt Ruger would do that.I ordered a Wolff hammer spring to try, and would like to take it down and polish a few pieces.Wish they had a trigger spring like a single six.I was just looking for some pointers on tearing one down and what to look for.
Thanks

akmania

Single-Sixer
Thank you.
Google Ruger disassembly/assembly for the factory videos.
Inspect the trigger sear and hammer contact surfaces for machining marks. Smooth with 2000 grit paper wrapped around a flat hard sanding block, being careful not to change surface angles.

akmania

Single-Sixer
My question is WHY do you need to do something to your Bearcat trigger? Just wondering, as I have a few of them and none appear to me to need any help.
Well, just wanting a little lighter trigger.

akmania

Single-Sixer
I watched the Ruger videos , went by them to disassemble and assemble. Polished all parts, put a 16lb. Hammer spring in it. I have a 18lb. If I stay getting light strikes.
It's around 3-3.5 lb really smooth trigger now.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have done the trigger on my Stainless Bearcat. It has been 10 years or better since doing it. It is smooth and no perceptible creep. I just now measured the trigger weight and it was 2 pounds on my Lyman electric trigger scale. If I recall correctly I used the heavier of two springs offered by Wolff Springs. I remember it being trickier to disassemble and reassemble than a Single Six. But like I said it has been several years since working on it.

akmania

Single-Sixer
Yeah everyone says use the 18 lb. Spring, but I tried the 16 for now. Prett straight forward tearing it down with the video.The only thing I have done to my single sixes is changed the trigger springs