Are there many "gun-shy" horses out there???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChuckS1

Bearcat
AKGrouch":ptqxrzhn said:
A horse is no different than a young lab or chessie you hope to train to hunt. Take that pup to the range, set it down, and start blasting. You will immediately see how quick the pup can pee, cower and flee. The horse is the same way. Break a horse into gun fire slowly, not by firing the belch fire over its ears and it will serve you well. I personally would ask if the horse is gun shy. If they say no, try it out. If they say yes, you know what you have facing you. Regardless I would try a shot at a bit of distance and watch the horse closely before I bought it. Find out there is a big problem while at their barn, not yours. :)

There's alot of good advice in AzRebel's post.....I bet he's trained gun dogs too.... :) Just remember you have to have patience. It's baby steps forward and giant leaps back, coupled with attrition in training dogs and that's what AzRebel described.

Lab pups don't weigh 1500 pounds though and I can hold on to a lab pup when he decides to run into the next county when you fire off that first round... lol

CBennett

Single-Sixer
yes, I think by nature they are gun shy unless broken in and get used to a loud gunshot. Every horse ive been around gets spooky around loud noises unless they are around them/used to them..ive never seen a horse thats not used to a loud noise just stand there when a gun or loud bang happens...unless they are used to it.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
caryc Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horses can get real expensive real fast. Enough said, just be ready. They're not as tough as some people may think.

Feed care
Vet care
Farrier care
Tack
Corrals
Weather shelter

and Doctor bills!

I bought a horse(green broke) for my new wife and my daughter. I hired this old gentleman to break her. Then he complained that not only did he have to break the horse, but me also! A bunch of horses later, I know so much more, but no where near as much as that old man. Learn to ride first. Then figure out if what you're wantin to do is possible for you. Then research the costs of feeding, boarding, training, yep those pesky vet bills for coggins tests etc. versus the time to actually engage in what you started out to do. In other words you might not have time/money to shoot anymore.
gramps

NorEaster

Blackhawk
caryc":1rcki5qg said:
Horses can get real expensive real fast. Enough said, just be ready. They're not as tough as some people may think.

Feed care
Vet care
Farrier care
Tack
Corrals
Weather shelter

+3 on that one... my wife has three of them
My Ruger collection would be bigger if our horse number was fewer :(

Three44s

Single-Sixer
A friend of mine ....... manages a gun counter at a local sporting goods store ......... (dangerous combo) is real big in Mounted shooting.

He told me that breaking a horse for gunfire was the easy part.

The hard part was getting them over the balloon breaking as they ran past it.

I suggest you find a mounted shooter to help you devise a program ..... they've been there and done that.

Best of luck

(BTW, horses are pretty expensive hobbies ....... but what's life if it's only about counting a pile of nickles?)

Three 44s

caryc

Hawkeye
t-reg":1ft3gpio said:
caryc Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feed care
Vet care
Farrier care
Tack
Corrals
Weather shelter

and Doctor bills!

I suppose this would be true if you can't manage to stay on the top side rather than the underside. :wink:

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Another thing to consider is whether or not the horse is shy of you. I rode my uncle's well trained competitive roping horse. As I somersaulted through the air and onto the rear tire of the tractor I realized the horse didn't really care to have me on his back.

glocksrus

Bearcat
Remind's me of the guy looking to buy a horse to hunt deer off of. Asked the owner if you could shoot off him? Sure he says- Buys horse -takes it home - loads 30/30- rides into pasture and fires one off. Wakes up in hospital full off sitches from barbwire fence he was drug through. Goes back to previous owner and says "I thought you said you could shoot off him" Old guys says you can- didn't say he liked it though. (True story)

AKGrouch

Bearcat
ChuckS1":h1owrxr4 said:
Lab pups don't weigh 1500 pounds though and I can hold on to a lab pup when he decides to run into the next county when you fire off that first round... lol

Good point. Labs are docile. :p ...it's those hard headed chessies ya gots to watch out for!!!!!! :roll: