Are Snake Loads Good for Small Birds, Squirrels, etc?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John P.

Bearcat
I would go with a .22, but but with the storage, I might consider a high power air rifle. A friend of mine hunted squirrels with one, and he was quite successful.

rtl

Single-Sixer
I've not had luck with barn swallows much beyond 15 feet out of a 5.5" .357 single action with factory snake shot rounds. I'd like to try loading my own someday for that reason.

Joe S.

Hunter
My dad used rat shot to kill a bunch of guineas we had back in the day. That's what we called me anyway. It's a yard bird. Like a small chicken.

GP100man

Buckeye
I`ve taken squirell at tree top distances ,BUT I take a 357 MAX case form it in a REM222 die to fit the chambers of my GP & load it with no. 6 shot , pattern is sparser but the larger pellets retain more kenetic energy . The MAX shotshells carry exactly twice the shot of the Speer factory offering.

102_0228-1.jpg

dougader

Hunter
I have used the Speer shot loads in 9mm to dispatch some nasty starlings. They chase away the native birds like Robins and Blue Jays. Shots that were much over 7 feet only wounded the birds and they flew off kind of tipsy like...

SL1

Bearcat
For SHTF scenarios, the .22 shot load makes some sense. I have used them in rifles to dispatch mice and rats at ranges of about 20 feet.

My experiences with shot capsuls in centerfire handguns has been different. The patterns from these guns usually develop a hole in the middle of the pattern. This is somewhat compensated by the larger number of pellets and poorer aim, which tends to make sure that the center of the pattern is NOT what hits my targets. But range seems to be only abut 10 feet for a sure thing.

You can buy a lot of .22 shot loads for the cost of the centerfire handgun loads.

SL1

Classic_Cool

Bearcat
Since I started the thread I've gone ahead and bought a .22 Single Six yesterday. The Ten just seemed like it would be tedious to reload at the range. I'm pleased with the purchase and looking forward to lower ammo bills :D

And I think it will be a welcome companion in SHTF scenarios. Long as I have my GP100 along too.

dougader

Hunter
Yep, same family as magpies and other "camp robbers" as we called them. But I shot a Blue Jay once as a kid, and my Dad threatened to take my BB gun away if I did it again. Only thing back then we could shoot on our property were crows in the garden, or quail to eat.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
I carry a Bear Cat. I have used both shot and ball ammo through it. In my experience the crimped .22 rounds tend to be effected by rifling a bit. Not so bad I would not use them. The capsules are OK if you are close. A long or long rifle will do the job and not ruin any meat. Granted snakes are a moving target and with a BC you must practice. Too, my gun shoots match ammo better than it dose bulk.

If you want to use a .357 to hunt with be my guest. For a SHTF situation, for a sustained time period. I would round up a good .410 shotgun and learn to set traps. There is something to be said for giving away your position with a pistol report when a longish stick can kill a snake. Nets can trap birds and snares small game animals. Ammo has weight and depletes. When hunting to eat I'd spring for a detected system and fall back on a firearm only when necessary.

Otherwise the GP is the perfect partner.