are all single six interchangeable

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a new model single six, it came with one cylinder for 22 lr. a friend gave me a cylinder for 22 win mag. are the cylinders interchangeable in all new model single six? or does the revolver have to be marked that it is good for both? mine says 22 cal. on the side

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
It may or may not work. If you don`t know how to tell, either do a bunch of homework and find out (learn how) or it needs to be in the shop of a trusted gun smith.
That said,lots of them just drop in.

Ideally cylinders need to be fitted to the individual revolver. There is always a bit of difference in each one, and this can lead to it being "out of time". Basically the chambers of the cylinder don't line up with the forcing cone. It might be so small it doesn't matter, it might be bad enough that it spits lead and accuracy is nonexistent. A competent smith can check this for you.

s4s4u

Hunter
There is really no "timing" involved. If the cylinder will fit it will shoot. Not all guns are created exactly the same and the window may vary a few .001" and it is easier if the new cylinder is the same length as your's, or slightly longer. If it is only a couple of thou's shorter it will still work, but you don't want too much play. I've done two 22's and both just dropped in. When I added a 45ACP cylinder to my Bisley I needed to stone .004" off, but it was piece of cake.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
MARSHVIEW HERMIT said:
I have a new model single six, it came with one cylinder for 22 lr. a friend gave me a cylinder for 22 win mag. are the cylinders interchangeable in all new model single six? or does the revolver have to be marked that it is good for both? mine says 22 cal. on the side

I believe you meant something different with your question. Yes, all New model single sixes can use interchangeable cyls, they are all just marked ".22 cal." except old model 'magnum only' and convertible magnum single sixes marked "Win. .22 RF Mag. Cal."

Only old models prior to c. serial # 150,000 are not considered convertible because they do not yet have the compromise bore size of .224".

In 50 years of swapping Ruger .22 cyls, I have never had one that didn't time correctly, so that concern borders on the mythical. The over all length is the only genuine issue. Does your friend's gifted cyl fit in your gun? Even if there is excessive fore and aft play it will still shoot well and safely, it just may 'rattle' a bit. So for free, I would not turn it down. You can always sell it and obtain another.

Ideally one with minimal play or none at all is preferred. And one too long to fit, as was said above, is simple to 'fit' with a little stoning. You would take an overall length measurement of your LR cyl with a dial caliper in .001 of an inch and seek one the same length or longer. The new and old model cyls will both work. In general the only difference is that OMs are fluted and NMs are non-fluted with a 22 mag stamping.

One final note: Fairly recently and coinciding with single ten introduction, there was a change to a smaller ratchet boss diam. (same size as the .32 Mag cylinders), and they will fit guns that came with large ratchet cylinders; the guns are the same.
But the frame has a different part #.

Enjoy,

Latest posts