AR556 wow's ....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stroker87

Bearcat
the cartridge will drop right in and fall out of the barrel with out any help, yes hard to unseat then moves freely when a round is in the chamber. with out a round in the chamber the BCG moves freely

stroker87

Bearcat
well with not much to do today I read about fail to feed some of these ar15's have a feed ramps came up a LOT of times so i took the rifle apart again and looked at the feed ramps then took a cartridge and let it glide across each a few times each time the bullet (tip) would get caught up at the top of the ramps and dig in the the bullet enough to stop it from going in the barrel witch got me thinking! (yeah you guys are going to love this)

locked the barrel in a vise grabbed my dremel with a pointed grinding bit and removed the sharp corners that the bullet was getting stuck on didnt take much at all just a little bit

then put a buffing wheel on and polished the both ramps

now the cartridge will smooth go into barrel and the BCG does not get hung up any more, if i hold back the charging handle and slowly move it forward the cartridge will even go into the barrel but when doing it this way the BCG does not lock on the cartridge i'm guessing not enough force for the extractor to swing out and lock on to the cartridge? bullet does not have any scrapes on it any more either but have to take it to the range to really see if this fixed the problem, i think it did but until fired i dont know? i'm still getting brass chips between the ramps and barrel though i'm thinking its the extractor?

the BCG now is still impossible to pull back when a round is in the chamber!

rattlegun

Bearcat
Your ramp and barrel work looks real good! :mrgreen:

For that sticking bolt are you up to disassembling and cleaning the BCG so it can be inspected?

stroker87

Bearcat
rattlegun said:
Your ramp and barrel work looks real good! :mrgreen:

For that sticking bolt are you up to disassembling and cleaning the BCG so it can be inspected?

Thanks!

I just got back from the range so its going to get disassembled inspected and fully cleaned again

ok so i spent a lot of time watching video's and reading up on ar15's so while at the range i noticed a few things from what i learned today

1.) last round the bolt does not lock back, but if i pull the charge hand back while the mag is empty it does lock

2.) if i put a loaded mag in and pull the charge handle and let it go it does load the round into the chamber EVERY time, when i get a fail to feed the brass cases have marks that start about 1/4" from the back and go to the area where the BCG gets stuck (round gets stuck half under the BCG tip in the feed ramp) it seams like the BCG is dragging the round forward from the side not pushing it from the rear this happens every other round

3.) one of employees at the range looked at it and said the BCG is way to hard to pull back I thought this but since its my first had nothing to compare it to, it kind of feels like its not turning enough to unlock from the barrel extension

4.) I tried 3 different brands of ammo at this point and the 3 mags it didnt help one bit

if theres some thing you guys feel i need to check or look for please let me know

thanks

rattlegun

Bearcat
Gas tube, gas block on barrel and gas key BCG need to be checked for leakage & alignment. Thus causing short-stroke of the BCG causing the issue listed in #1 & #2.

#3 & #4, this was good thinking.

Double check the action/recoil spring & buffer for assembly errors and binding.

Lastly fit one part at a time in gun checking for fit and function to narrow down it.

You are getting close and learning the AR-15!

stroker87

Bearcat
rattlegun said:
You are getting close and learning the AR-15!

thats for sure! :lol:

last night while cleaning it I sprayed CLP in the gas system let it soak then blew it out with 100psi of air pressure the CLP shot out from around the gas block on the barrel so its leaking (unless 100psi was to much pressure?) thats the only place the CLP shot out from that it was not suppose to that i noticed. when i took it apart to polish the feed ramps i blew in the gas tube while holing my finger on the hole that lines up with the one in the barrel that was fine blew as hard as i could and no air leak, I have the Wheeler vise block with receiver insert that has the rod for gas tube alignment so i'm sure the alignment is good plus the gas tube is not showing any signs of wear from misalignment

the front sight/gas block is tight last time i had it off i cleaned the area then put loctite on the pins. how does this seal or how can i seal it? i noticed 1st time i shot this rifle oil in the barrel around it

i pulled the buffer and spring every thing is clean didnt notice any wear or binding when pushing it in? I oiled it while i had it out but really not sure what i should be looking for though?

at this point the only thing the seams to be better is loading rounds when pulling the charge handle and releasing it, before the bullet tip would get stuck in the feed ramps so i'm confident once i get this "short stroke" figured out i might enjoy this rifle

Edit: i received a call back from ruger the lady told me she talked with there tech's and they are willing to replace the upper if i send in the rifle to them, i told her i replaced the upper already since she told me repairs was on me and she still told me if i wanted to return the rifle to stock and send it in so i'm pretty sure i am not the only one to have this problem and it was not my "gunsmith" skill's :mrgreen:

rattlegun

Bearcat
The gas block leakage should not be happening and 100 psi is not even close to the 50,000-60,000 psi going down the barrel when firing. Better quality gas blocks are not pinned on instead use screws to pull the block up tight against the barrel so no leakage happens. I'm sure the Ruger gas block can be changed out, don't know it the pin slots would show or not.

If it's going back to Ruger now then they can fix it and you can go buy a new stripped lower to finish the new upper; if you don't mind me spending your money for you. :mrgreen:

This is the book I used to build my first AR from scratch:
"The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide" Book By Glen D. Zediker
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/575254/the-competitive-ar15-builders-guide-book-by-glen-d-zediker

stroker87

Bearcat
i talked with a local gunsmith and asked him about the gas block he suggested a few things i could do to seal it but that still leaves me with the BGC problem when theres a round in the chamber so i'm putting it back to stock and sending it to them and see how that go's

i've been doing a lot of reading and researching about building one but a local dealer/Mfg. offers a pretty good deal but the trick is buy the upper then the lower he mentioned something about gun tax and offer a lifetime warranty and if there is a problem just walk in and they'll take care of it thats really appealing

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I got my AR 556 shooting well. 62 gr. and up group nicely, I noticed gas leakage at the gas block. Is this normal? That is my only complaint now. ,vent tube was black. I'm going to order the suggested books. I shot this rifle last 2 weekends. I also took my 77, tang style, .270 Win. I loaded 90 gr. 110 gr. 115 gr hpbt H380 H414 powders. These loads all hit in same place Scope is set for 130 Rem Core loks It was windy, but still good shooting. Super BH likes 23 gr H110 with XTP 240 I could shoot everyday ,I think. New 10/22 International is accurate, but it has an 8 pound trigger, least it feels like it. AR has a 3 pound Timney, guess I'm spoiled

Goss

Bearcat
We just had about 30 freshly issued and not a one had a trigger that was anything but absolutely terrible! They are about as smooth as dragging a bucket across a gravel road. Unlike your gun, they all did function well for feeding and firing.

It's a far cry from anything I ever expected carrying the Ruger name; a major disappointment!

Goss

Bearcat
Just got off the phone with Ruger. I was hoping to buy another single stage trigger in the hopes it would be a better one than what I have. Can't do the two stage as it would be different from "As Issued".

The answer is "no".
I can send the gun back for trigger work, but I'm not inclined to spend a couple of weeks without my patrol rifle.

Humph!

stroker87

Bearcat
well thought i'd update you all

got mine back from ruger, last week i was told they intalled new barrel, barrel nut, BCG & upper and sealed the gas block when i was told this I asked to have them double check the issue i was having with extracting live rounds (way to hard to extract REALLY) i was told they DID and every thing was find so i gain i asked if they could just check it again the lady said she was positive it was all working correctly!

well my rifle shows up today with only a new barrel nut and upper every thing else was the same parts i shipped it with, extracting a live round is still next to impossible :shock: :evil:

when i asked why was i told all the parts was replace she said I NEVER SAID THAT, so i asked where would i get that from them? no response...

so at this point i dont under stand thing well from what she tells me and they area really on top of there game.... NOT!!!!!

rifle on its way back to them to correct what i asked them to check the 1st time, I'm having this problem my cousin had to send in his LC9 in for service and met a few other who have had issues with ruger products to I dont under stand how they get such good reviews

for all those who said it was all my fault about the barrel nut i found quite a few things online about other having this problem and even a guy at one of the local gun shows plus the fact they replaced it on there dime tells me its some thing there doing wrong

rattlegun

Bearcat
Your unfixed gun not done right the first time is a common story if that helps you feel better. Glad you sent it back. I'm sure they have some very sharp techs there at Ruger, but at the same a clown show is running too. I'm guessing first tier repair is the circus room where many times nothing is done but send it back and tell you to clean it even though it's already clean.

Sorry to hear about all this. It's no better with S&W and so on...

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
Anyone else have problems with .223?

I would use Remington .223, but might just buy the Federal 5.56 to shoot in it for the
first time.

SylverBullit

Bearcat
I was eager to put a few rounds through my new AR-556, so I went to the range and shot it right out of the box. I didn't clean it at all beforehand, and it shot perfectly. The first few shots were at a slow rate, and at least 20 were in pretty fast succession to test the action, etc. I had no hiccups whatsoever. I was shooting cheap, brass-cased FMJ (probably reloads) from the gun shop where I bought my rifle. It was initially shooting about 24"+ low, but that was ok. Overall, I think the AR-556 is the best deal in the AR market right now. I'm not a fan of iron sights, so a low-profile Gas Block, scope rings, and scope are waiting to be installed when I get time. Probably a 13" free float forend at some point, but keeping it simple for now.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Clarkston_cz said:
I now have both .233 and 5.56 ammo for it.

We will see how it shoots today.

You shouldn't have any problem. My box stock AR 556 ate everything I've fed it from 55gr fmgs to 60 and 62 gr soft point and VMax fired slow fire or three 30 round mags bang bang bang fast fire.