Anybody else notice - the .44 special is alive again?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I guess if you would use something that would not be as good as you can make, maybe your not as serious as some others?? :wink: I make my own boolits in mold's I design because they are better, or I would not have wasted years casting smelting and designing! :!:

Raspy

Bearcat
I've got a Lipsey's Flattop 44 spl and a Smith 696 44 spl. They are both really fun!

I really wish Ruger would make a GP100 in 44 spl. Wow! It could be a better gun than either the Rossi 44 or the Smith 696, with it's rugged and simple design.

Has Ruger ever even considered making one?

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
If gun weight is a concern to you for field carrying, and you don't think you will ever really need the full power of a 44 Mag, then the Ruger 44SP flattop has some distinct advantages. It is, or at least seems, lighter and much easier to carry than a SBH of comparable barrel length. However, you will only realize it's advantages if you are a handloader.

Otherwise, if you need full power of 44 Mag for hunting, you would probably prefer a SBH because of the availability of more ammo choices.

Ditto the 45 Colt. It is a great round, but expensive to shoot if you only use factory ammo, regardless of power level, and it is not something readily available at just any gun shop or big box retailer, especially the specialty loads that take full advantage of the Ruger's power handling.

If you handload, pick whatever one you want based on the gun, if you don't and don't intend to, then pick the gun based on the ease of obtaining a variety of ammo and its availability.

I really like the 44SP and have a number of S&Ws and 2 of the Ruger Lipseys. Although my 3" Lew Horton S&W Model 624 and 24 are great guns, and the 696 has some advantages as a woods carry gun because it is a DA, the Rugers are the 44 Specials that have really caught my attention most. It is a great cartridge in the right gun! I'm glad it is still around.

maxpress

Buckeye
wildcatter said:
The 44 special has always been a better hunting cartridge than the 357, as long as you keep the shots in a reasonable range and don't expect 44 mag or 45 colt performance it is a fine cartridge for close in whitetail and smaller game. So no surprise to me I always wondered why some states allow the 357 mag for deer hunting but not the 44 special, just because it uses a shorter case, speed don't kill!!! weight and mass KILLS!!

I really dont see where a 44spl gives up anything to a 45 colt. A quick glance at the Speer manual shows the 44-250-k at 1014fps which is my favorite and it shows a 45-250 at 1028fps. Thats really counting beans to say theres a big difference.
I have some 44spl loads that are 250@1200 which I dont use much. and the 45 ruger only loads are 260-300gr @ 1183 and 1193.

As far as comparing it to the 45acp I think its a much more flexible round.
acp goes from 185@800 to 230@900. 44spl 185@700 up to again 250@1200. Much more of a spread.

Really wanna toss some lead try a 320lbt at 950.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Alive and well!

dscn0860-croppedMedium.jpg

IMG_1280Small.jpg

IMG_1201Small.jpg

-- Sam

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Skeeter008.jpg

Read the above letter reply by Skeeter Skelton and note the date at the bottom of the page.....

Skeeter's toasting Ruger with a shot of tequila up in Heaven.

Rclark

Hunter
Skeeter was right. They'll never produce a .44 Special on the BH large frame. But we are glad they did produce it on the medium BH frame :D .