Any Ithaca 37 fans out there?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Mike Armstrong said:
Tucsondirt, you might want to try that Deerslayer for quail just the way it is, maybe unscrew the peep sight slide. Worth a try; the barrel is actually choked a little bit, and with modern shells should throw about an improved cylinder pattern. I used a 20 guage Deerslayer for grouse for years after the deer season was over and it worked fine. Very handy in the brushy gullies we called "heart attack factories."

Main issue would be whether your quail hold for a decent shot. If they're Gambel's, they may not, and you would indeed need a longer barrel with more choke. Those are available.

Thanks Mike, I have taken it out once for quail (removed peep sight). It shot well; I didn't :x . ( Gambel's quail wouldn't hold still!)
I have since taken it and my Mossberg 500 20ga out shooting clays with my sons and I did okay with it.
Looking forward to my next quail hunt but I shot up all my ammo shooting clays, I think I can still find some birdshot (ha ha).

I do like the short barrel length for carrying through brushy desert washes but I think I'd like a longer barrel with a rib for small game (birds).
However, pricing a barrel with choke tubes on the Ithaca site, it looks like I could probably get another Mossberg for about the same price.
I check auction sites once in a while for a used barrel but not really a serious search right now, I have other buying priorities when I get some spare cash.

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
I have but one M37, it is a factory AOW Stakeout
13" barrel and pistol grip. Bought it in 1984 when working as LEO
It has seen a lot of good times and a few really bad times.
I will be buried with this M37
Joe

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I picked this one up at a gun show over the weekend.

The barrel has been cut back to 18", but other than that she's in pretty good shape for a gun made in 1949. It's not a 'collector' grade gun but I didn't pay a 'collector' price either. Just a nice old shotgun.

DSC_0021_zps41e4677d.jpg

Jeff

jamesellik

Bearcat
that is a beauty. I have an old beater 37 chambered in 16ga, paid $60 for it when I was 15. Killed more deer with that old shotgun than I can count. Other than finding shells for it, I love everything about it.

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
I have Dad's old 37 Featherweight 16 Ga. from the late 1940's. Still works as new, & I love it. Wish I had one in 20 Ga., but my 20 is an 870 Rem., & it's pretty darn nice too.

37Ithaca.jpg

TreeDoc

Bearcat
41 Magnum said:
I have Dad's old 37 Featherweight 16 Ga. from the late 1940's. Still works as new, & I love it. Wish I had one in 20 Ga., but my 20 is an 870 Rem., & it's pretty darn nice too.

37Ithaca.jpg
Looks just like my dad's old gun. He hunted everything with it and was very deadly. Turkey, Dove, Pheasant, Quail, Duck and the occasional Crow. I have one in 12g, made in 1957, mod choke that is just about as deadly.

22lrfan

Bearcat
I've had a soft spot for Ithaca 37's for a long time. The first gun I ever had that was mine was a 1970 Ithaca 37 Deluxe that I got for Christmas when I was 12. Now I've accumulated three Deluxe models. Top to bottom they are:
1973 20 ga. with a 26" cylinder barrel
1975 12 ga. with a 26" improved cylinder barrel
1970 12 ga. with a 28" modified barrel
ithaca13.jpg

pps

Single-Sixer
I have my grandfather's 1947 model, and still use it from time to time for dove. Used it for self defense once (didn't have to fire, thankfully). I bought a couple more, over the years, to give to my kids as they move off to college.

Here is the new "defender" model. I have to say, it's every bit as smooth and trouble free as my others, I just wish they had made this one with a removable barrel...as the fixed barrel solves a problem that never existed. Weighs only 7.8# when fully loaded with 8 rounds of 00bk

Ithicarightside_zpsadfa08fd.jpg

Here is my favorite for home defense, VERY compact, no frills, and has the slamfire feature...200 bucks from a retired cop who only put about 100 rounds through her since 1975. Only 6.7# fully loaded with 5 rounds of 00bk

1975ithica_zps3c97b6d8.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I learned how to drop Pheasants with my 37 Featherlight 16. It was my second after a Wingmaster 16 ga. I bought both at age 14 with money from hay and apples! After getting a few boxes of shells I often took my 37 to work in the apple orchards for a pheasant walk at lunch or at sundown. It wasn't long before that 37 seemed to sniff out roosters I couldn't even see.

I also have a photo of my (WNY elected Sheriff) Uncle standing roadblock with a brace of deputies - all standing port arms with Ithaca 12 gauge 37s. circa 1954-ish. Wish he'd willed a couple to me (they were mostly his guns)!