Antler sheds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Noticed an odd shape and color at the base of one of my trees at my back boundary yesterday. Went out and found this laying there. My question, and I think I know the answer; what is the likelihood that the other one is close by? Next nice day I'll go out and roam around to see what I can see. Where we live, behind us is open fallow fields (75-80 acres) at the base of a mountain surrounded by tree filled fence rows and wooded areas. We have a bunch of deer (10-12) that regularly come into the yard and around the house looking for food (or to molest the bird feeders attached to our rear raised deck - bottom of the feeders are 6-7 feet off the ground) to knock out all the seed and then eat it off the ground or to harass the flowers/plants I try to grow. We do not actively put food out like the neighbors do.

This is the first shed that I have found while living here (27 years) - guess I need to start looking up in the wooded areas.

IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG

I/we didn't spend much time shed hunting this year. The few we stumbled over were 50/50 fresh/older and one was exceptional in size. Only 5 points but the mass was amazing. I've been cruising the soybean fields hoping to find any sheds dropped there before a tractor tire finds them next month.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've found a few sheds over the years. Sometimes,, I've found the matching pair close to each other & more often,, just a single antler. But it's fun to hunt them! (Just watch out for mountain lions!)

I've spent plenty of time looking for the 2nd antler when I found one of a set. Never managed to succeed. I have found what appeared to be two from the same deer on two consecutive years. Unfortunately the same side both years.

Latest posts