Antique leather sheath care

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buckhorn150

Bearcat
My father has given my youngest son my grandfather's hunting knife. It is a puma white hunter made between 57 and 64. This is a very important family heirloom and want this to be handed down for generations to come .my question to you is some advice on what to use to treat the leather with. I do not want to change the color in any way ,just keep the leather from drying out or cracking. It is in great condition but is starting to dry out and the rivets are turning green.thank you in advance for your advise.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

If cleaning with saddle soap or anything involving water, try to keep the leather as dry as possible. I have a knife set--two knives, one sheath--that was made in pre-war Germany I was given about 1961-62. The sheath was original, in pretty good shape, and those knives went with me on backpacking, fishing and bird hunting trips until about the early '90s. Last trip out, the leather got soaked, and the sheath died. That old dry leather needs a lot of "nourishment" to be able to take as much moisture as newer stuff will...

I once posed a question about leather care products to one of our resident leather workers, Viking Queen. Cathy introduced me to a product called "Montana Pitch Blend" which she told me is quite popular amongs leather workers. It doesn't contain petroleum products, as many current offerings do. I couldn't find it locally, but did find "Huberd's Shoe Grease" which is probably the product the Montana brand folks are competing with most directly. It's a beeswax and pine pitch mix, doesn't discolor leather very much at all, and has been around since 1929, so I figure it must be ok. It's done a nice job for me on some other old leather. If you don't mind ordering online, both products are readily available.

Rick C

pete44ru

Hunter

I just rub neatsfoot oil into my leather.

shopping

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
Another vote for Montana Pitch Blend. It may darken the leather slightly on application. A bit of gentle heat (hair dryer) will encourage additional absorption by the leather.

The blue/green 'gunk' is verdigris, a naturally occurring waxy substance appearing on weathered copper, brass, and bronze when exposed to the atmosphere or sea water. Typically can be removed with a soft brush. Use care to not impress the verdigris into the leather. Jon

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

This may be your best bet Buckhorn for a product that will be less "intrusive". A little goes a long way. We had some '50s furniture get absolutely soaked on a drive back from the antique fair. plenty of mineral oil, a big fan and finish up with renaissance wax. the wife is still happy with that outcome. I use it on my wood stocks and they've seen a couple downpours too, with no bubbling or opaquing of the original finish. the small jar I bought should last the rest of my life. good luck, sounds like a worthy effort. kyle

737tdi

Hunter
Wow, I guess I could be terribly wrong here but my old long passed grandpa swore by use what the original owner of the skin used. Lard, not processed crap but real lard. Yes, it can get a smell but if you use it often, wiping off, applying new it has worked for most every piece of leather I own. No, I won't use it on clothes or boots but for sheaths I have found it to be the cheapest most effective product. It will brown or white residue if you don't keep up with it. I have just never been a fan of using anything petroleum based on leathers. JMO.

Karl

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
For over 60 years I have used Lexol leather conditioner on my saddles, harness, chaps, etc., and been happy with it. If others don't make you happy you might try it too.

cadillo

Blackhawk
Go to your local boot store and get some 'Bic 4". I use it on boots, gloves, sheaths, and jackets. Best stuff!