Another Mini-14 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, I've had a hankering for a couple of guns for awhile. Both are definitely "wants" & not needs. A Ruger Charger (Done deal) strictly for fun. And a Mini 14. My LGS has a used Mini tactical w/ the black stock & AR birdcage. Mfg 2009 w/a ser# prefix of 580. They have the gun w/one factory 20 rd. mag only for $550 + tax. Condition shows some handling wear + where a scope was mounted at one time. Mostly could use a good cleaning. My question is whether or not this was a good series w/ decent accuracy- I'm not expecting a target gun. And is the price reasonable. I already have an AR. Also would a wood factory stock just swap out with the plastic one? Thank's for any help-Dave

DGW1949

Hunter
The 580-series was a transition gun, meaning that some were made with the more desirable (tapered) barrel, some were not. Plus, none were D&T'd for the "Ruger rail" which came into being during the 582-series run.
Just speaking for myself...if the gun in question lacks the better barrel, I'd keep looking.

As for swapping stocks...Ruger has made slight changes to the Mini-14 over the years, so sometimes a replacement wood stock will be a drop in fit, sometimes not. And do bear in mind that just as with the M1 Garand, M14 and M1A, PROPER stock fit is paramount if you want the best accuracy from this type of platform...and all that that implies. In other words, be prepared to do some "fitting" if needed.

DGW

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thank you for the reply DGW, I went back up there on my lunch break to ck. what type barrel was on the gun. It did indeed taper down in front of the handguard. I asked if he would take $550.00 OTD & he agreed. Thank's again for the help! Dave