Albino Doe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ohio bowhunter

Single-Sixer
I was hunting on the ground this AM becase of the wind . She walked right up on me :shock: Just couldn't bring myself to release an arrow so shot her with the camera instead . She had this years fawn with her that was also pure white . The fawn stayed in the thick brush so I couldn't get a good pic of it . Thought y'all might enjoy these :D

122dqac.jpg

s488yg.jpg

1zpju4n.jpg

ohio bowhunter

Single-Sixer
donut757 said:
Your a better man than i am... she is a pretty animal and i would had to take a chance at her.

Nice pics tho.

Would not have been much of a chance for her...she was at about 6 yards at one point , with me at full draw...but i just couldn't release .
Must be gettin soft in my old age , but I have no regrets for not killing her .

donut757

Blackhawk
Dang... 6 yards, thatll make the hair stand up on ur neck... i dont fault you one bit. It is just as fun to watch deer than kill them... the past few years i have opted to hunt the beans fields 90% of my bow hunts. Only 4 deer have gotten within range but they were small bucks or i didnt want to force a bad shot. I have seen so.many incredible things that just keep me coming back... the outdoors never fails to amaze

KTM

Single-Sixer
Awesome! That would be quite the treat to experience an albino doe and her albino fawn that close. Great photos.

FWIW, in Wisconsin it is illegal to shoot an albino deer.

ohio bowhunter

Single-Sixer
Not illegal to shoot here . I am a meat hunter primarily . I have killed a few trophy bucks , but dont necessarily hunt for them . I'll shoot whatever comes into range .
Therein lies the problem . I haven't had a chance to get out much yet this season , and therefore haven't made meat . She was so close it was a sure thing...but i was so amazed at seeing her and her white fawn that I couldn't drop the hammer . Maybe the hunting gods will smile on me for letting her go .
My wife still cant believe i didn't drop her . Hope I dont see a pic in the paper of someone else in the area getting her :( .

one bullet

Single-Sixer
Not sure how small the fawn was but you really spared two lives instead of one. I applaud you for that. By the way, I'm not anti-hunting. :)

ohio bowhunter

Single-Sixer
one bullet said:
Not sure how small the fawn was but you really spared two lives instead of one. I applaud you for that. By the way, I'm not anti-hunting. :)

This years fawn...it would have been ok without mom

cubrock

Blackhawk
I believe I would have taken her. You have more restraint than I do. Thanks for sharing!

contender

Ruger Guru
Excellent pics! It's legal to take them here in NC, but a lot of folks will let them go. To see a fawn, all white, that's cool. It could have survived, but it'll learn more from momma if they make it through the season.

ohio bowhunter

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the comments , I'm still in shock that I got to see them :D
Wish I could have gotten a pic of them together

HerrMesser

Single-Sixer
I would have been hard pressed to not shoot a white one.

I have found evidence of two fawns that I had shot their mothers in WY. I kept seeing them the next few days that I was there. One kept coming back to the spot where I shot the doe. It is also possible that there was a bad winter.

Rad

Jman8182

Bearcat
ECUfan said:
I thought most people wanted you to shoot the albino deer for genetic reasons??

There are people on both sides of the fence on that. I agree, it's a defect and should be taken out of the gene pool. TMHO. In Illinois, an all white deer is protected, any brown and it's down.

Pete

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Ive posted pictures of an albino doe that was around here for many years. She always had normal fawns. She died of old age about 4 years ago on Thanksgiving day and was turned over to Wyoming Game and Fish. Someone donated enough money for a full mount and she is now in a local wildlife museum .

You will not regret passing up the shot and I will guarentee her image will be with you for a long time. For me it was sort of a ghostly mystical experience