Advice on a used 10/22 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

You need to pick up a couple of factory 10 round magazines for the rifle as well as a better high capacity one. Butler Creek also makes a steel lip mag and it works a lot better than the plastic one, once it is broken in. One or two jams from a 25 round plastic lipped mag is not unusual.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
That's my actual plan. 25 rounds is nice, but just gets in the way when walking through the tree row. I did find one that's completely CNC'd from aluminium. :D I think I would like the flush fit of the factory 10 rounders when going through the brush.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a 10/22 that I bought new. I brought it home and removed the bbl and stock and replaced them with a butler creek bbl and stock. the bbl is a .920. I have easily shot this rifle 75000 times and it is still fine it will shoot a group at 25 yds with 10 shots inside 1/4" today. I usually clean it about every 1000 shots. I have 6 ruger replacement clips I bought after buying the rifle I figured they would be the weak point of the gun. I am still using the original clip in the rifle but I have taken it apart several times and cleaned it. This gun has probably hung up 10 times in it's lifetime and most of those I blamed on faulty ammo not the gun.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I like the original stock. Probably get a longer, rubber butt pad. What are some good iron sight that I can still fit a scope on? I like having the red-dot on there, but I still love old-fashioned iron sights. and the factory flip up rear makes it impossible for me to get a bead on anything.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
OK, I decided to with tech-sights on the 10/22. Who makes a better carbine barrel that still allows for iron sights?

TROB

Bearcat
as others have stated, ive never heard of wearing out a bolt.

even if it has rust/ pitting you can polish it up to a mirror shine with high grit sand paper or a buffing wheel.

I don't follow this. It was new and "she only shot it once" and we're talking about wear on the bolt. What was it 10,000 rounds nonstop? If the bolt still moves, oil it a little and if it shoots, use it.