action slick up with toothpaste

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've used toothpaste to slick up the drags in my Penn Reels Works real good smooth as silk.

I was thinking of using toopaste paste to polish up cylinders put a little on a swab and turn it with a cordless drill. Very slowly of course. ps

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Tooth enamel has a Mohs hardness of ~5, not sure if one could destroy their tooth enamel by over brushing with tooth paste, but the abrasive must be less than a 5 hardness in order to prevent damage. Unsure of how hard the parts mentioned to be polished are. With that said, an abrasive must be harder than the surface to be polished in order for any removal of the target to occur. Think as others mentioned, it is mostly the cycling of the parts that are responsible for the smoothing of actions, tooth paste dosn't make sense as a polishing agent for steel parts.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Do it the fun way........buy a 1,000 round case of ammo, go to the range with the gun and the case of ammo.......and come back home with only the gun and a bag full of spent brass :D

Repeat as necessary 8)

Cuad

Bearcat
South (Hotter than the hinges of hell) Florida
contender said:
It has been done with good success by many folks who choose to not have a gunsmith do an action job, (or don't have the money & time to wait)!
I recall a former world champion SASS shooter, "Lead Dispenser" saying that was all he did to his Ruger Vaqueros to slick them up. Toothpaste & lots of dryfiring.

I saw that episode of "Cowboys" also.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have have taken several apart and just polished the sear,hammer engagement ,main spring strut pins ect with a Dremel tool and polishing compound that came with the Dremel tool. Made quite a difference in the action and in several cases lightened the trigger pull by a couple of ounces. Oh,I also tweeked the main spring a little and polished the end of the spring where it rides on the hammer.

Major T

Blackhawk
Dremmel tools have their place, but anything except the felt wheels inside your guns will eventually [usually sooner than later] have you going to the sites where replacement parts are available. Be careful, jack

jack76590

Bearcat
You might consider dryfiring. It is the working of the action that smooths things up with use, not the recoil.

Latest posts