Abandoned steel factory

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
I work for a natural gas company here in town. My work takes me all over the state into some remote areas and i see some neat stuff. Well the other day we were on the outskirts of town walking some right of way in preparation for a job and we happened upon this old steel factory property. It is situated near a railroad track altho there is no spur onto the property. Story I got from a coworker that knows the site said they shut down in the 70's or 80's. It is only a half mile from any road but that is whats amazing about it to me. The city (or county) completely took up the blacktop coming into it at some point. There is no trace that a road was even there other than a badly eroded road bed. Also according to my coworker, the road it is closest to was realigned and straightened out many years ago. Before that it actually passed close to the plant.

sQToLd.jpg

kuOvP2.jpg

And this is apparently a project they left behind. Those pieces are 8-10 feet in diamter and made from 1" thick steel.

dzOTNj.jpg

GetGunz

Single-Sixer
oregon73 said:
That's pretty neat. I'm surprised that vandals and looters haven't wrecked the place.

The aforementioned removal of easy access to the property most likely prevented its demise by hooligans.

cadillo

Blackhawk
Pretty small considering what it is reported to have been. I once worked in an aluminum reduction plant, and the building I worked in was described to us as being over forty acres under roof.

Joe S.

Hunter
Well "factory" may not be the right term. Maybe a fabrication shop? But to have closed in the 70's/80's... Were they that big back then? I dont think they made steel... Rather stuff out of steel...

Thats one of four buildings i could see too. This was probably just the office...

Looks like it was probably a Pressure Vessel Shop or a Storage Tank Fabricator of some kind. What looks like what was left behind was the "Cans." Cans are sections that are rolled and seam welded then shipped to a manufacturer to be made into a vessel. Once the vessel has the cans welded together for the length required the nozzles and heads are welded in place.

Joe S.

Hunter
Like i said i think that was just office space. There are at least 3 other buildings on the site.