A very special M77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OIF2

Single-Sixer
Hi Guys
Here's my latest Ruger. This one is a sort-of semi-custom rifle. I love the new Hawkeye, but I wanted a few things corrected that I consider necessary on a sporting bolt rifle. I found a LH 77 with a nice, reddish colored, straight-grained stock. I then turned it over the Hill Country Rifles for my desired modifications. A new, 24" barrel in .30-06 was added (same contour as the factory tube), along with a Pachmayr 1 inch "Decelerator" pad in red at 13.75" pull (I need a little longer LOP). Rifle was bedded and floated (HCR does an excellent accurizing job) and the trigger adjusted to 3.5 lbs pull. Bluing was matte, with the bolt-handle finished in Cera-Kote. Bolt body was engine-turned. A Leupold 2.5-8X VariX III in Warne double-lever mounts completed the rig. It shoots into 3/4" all day long with 165 gr Hornady factory stuff. I like 24" barrels on my '06 rifles, straight, classic stocks, a red pad and double-lever mounts. It's gorgeous, but it's ready to work; hence the factory stock. A lovely, traditional hunting rifle in the ultimate American caliber.
Bob

DSC_1064.jpg

DSC_1063.jpg

DSC_1065.jpg

DSC_1066.jpg

OIF2

Single-Sixer
I forgot to mention that the 24" barrel really made a difference in looks and balance...the Ruger forend on the 77 is just a tad too long. The 24" barrel brings it into perfect proportion. Balance is improved, too. The 22" factory barrel tends to be somewhat stubby. With modern loads and the 24" barrel, the old '06 will compete quite favorably with the old 300 H&H.
Bob

mattsbox99

Hunter
That is what I like about Ruger's .25/06s, they have 24" tubes.

I like your rifle a lot as well, except for the rings - just to complicated looking on a hunting rifle. Just my opinion and feel free to ignore it!

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Very nice custom job. Just about perfect. The 24 inch barrel makes sense on the .30-06, and I've often wanted one on mine just to be different.

Scott Spencer

Bearcat
That pad and scope look great on that rifle, Bob! In fact, I didn't know that Pachmayr made a red decelerator pad! I'm sure glad you posted these photos.