A trip back in time,,, and a lot of history

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Recently I had a customer who asked me about a place locally,,, that has largely been forgotten. In Henderson Co NC,,, there is a cave,,, known for decades as "Mills Cave" or "The Devils Smokehouse."
A little history.
During the Revolutionary War,,, at the battle of Kings Mtn NC,, the colonists captured many people loyal to the Crown, or who were British. One of the captured was Col. Ambros Mills. Along with him,,, was his son,, William Mills,,, who was wounded during the battle.
The colonists marched the POW's toward Rutherford county,,, & then held a few "trials" & began hanging some of the captured soldiers. One of the ones hanged,,, was Col Mills.
Now the tales get vague,,, but it's said the colonists lost the stomach for too many hangings,,, and discussed how the other soldiers were just following orders etc. As such,,, either security was lax or they just chose to "allow" many of the POW's to "escape."
William Mills was one of these who escaped,,, and made his way northwest,,, through (what is now Lake Lure) & up & over a mountain. There,,, in Henderson Co,,, he found a cave. He hid out in it,,, and healed up.
He then explored around & found he really liked the area,,, and decided to leave, & join the colonists to help win our Independence.
After the war,,, he chose to return to Henderson Co, and was granted land,,, in what is now called "Edneyville." He married,,, & had twin daughters. He also started planting apple trees. Now,, in modern times,,, we can thank him for the huge apple crop we have here. And,,,, many local places get their name from his family or endeavors. "Fruitland," "Mills River" & even "Edneyville" all derive their names in this history. Williams 2 daughters married twin brothers,, who were both preachers,,, with the last name of "Edney."
William Mills is buried just a few hundred yards off the main road through this community,,, US 64.
During the Civil War,,, a lot of "others" used the very cave that William had used. Smoke could be seen occasionally from the mountain,, and many mothers would warn their little kids to be good as that was "the Devils Smokehouse" & he took misbehaving kids there.

As modern times came about,,, the cave saw little use,,, and in the late 1800's,, a local earthquake closed off part of the cave. But the cave endures.
When I was a young BSA Scout,,, we worked on local history,,, "The William Mills Story" and we re-traced the trail from Lake Lure to the cave & put out post markers to mark the trail. All this was for our "Historic Trails Award." We hiked the route,,, & cooked a lunch at the cave. We also made a trip to Williams grave.
All this happened back in the early 1970's for me. And only occasionally would it be discussed or remembered.

Until a customer of mine asked me about it. Seems he is a distant relative of the Mills family. And he was a history teacher. He wanted to find the cave.
So,,, I asked a few folks,,, and yep,, we all knew "about" where it was & "mostly" knew where to go. But it has been a few decades since I visited it. But,,, plans were made for a modern expedition to find the cave again.
And,, despite all the years,,, once in the woods,, a lot came back to me,,, & I went right to it. Despite the (still) heavy growth around it,, and it's out of the way location,,, We found it. I stepped back in time to when I was a kid,,, and hiking to it all over again.

And my customer,,, well,,, his research has turned up more info,, but it's not named "Mills Cave" in that stuff. And as it turns out,,, the cave was used for geo-caching about 6-8 years ago as well.
This time,,, thanks to modern technology,,, we took pics!
Here I am,,, in front of the entrance.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
That Bear is grinning and don't look real hungry, good history lesson though, thanks for the tour.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks all!
While my trip back to the cave was a very pleasant one,, I was also reminded of how much the area has changed. A lot more houses & cleared land was seen from the top of the rocks. Luckily,, this place isn't too far away,, and I can access it again now that I know where to start. I'll go back soon & get some more pics.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Interesting story. My direct ancestor (who had emigrated from Heidelberg, Germany to Philadelphia in 1753) died & was buried on his farm near Bethania, NC (Forsythe County?). Both he & one of his sons contributed service to the Patriot cause in the Revolution, with the son signing on in Surry County. He later applied for a pension in 1832, finally passing away in 1848.
Maybe he & Mills knew each other or served in the same areas.

Ben a long time since I've been in a real cave.
My mild claustrophobia is a bit at odds with the experience, but I like them.
The big ones. Real big, open, wide , did I say big? Not the small, narrow, tight, oppressing....Oh hell,
need to throw some water on my face......
Thanks for the story.

coach

Hunter
You made me think about a place we used to camp when I was in the scouts. Would love to go back, but it's on private property. Not even sure it's still there. We sure had a lot of fun back then.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks all!
A trip back in time,,, even if only in memories can be a fun time. While I could look out & around from on top of the rocks & see a LOT more houses & such,,, once we dropped off the top, & got to the cave,, due to the brush,,, it was almost exactly as I remembered it.
Too many good places get developed & privatized, to where you can no longer see or visit them. And many get destroyed. So to find this place is still the way it was,,, well, it just made me smile!

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually,,, this cave sits in such a place that it's basically forgotten. Some of the locals know about it,,, and have for decades,,, but it's still the same as it's always been since the tremor that caused the shift. Luckily,, where it's at,,, it's "out of the way" for the local kids to easily access.